Create humidity outdoors?? Sulcata in dry heat

Coco449

Location (City and/or State)
Glendale
Hello I have a sulcata shes about 2yrs and she spends most of her days outside. There is plenty of sun but we live in arizona and it's a dry heat. We get just about no humidity here.

Is there some way I can create humidity for her outdoors? Or is it okay for her not to have humidity outdoors for some reason?

I'm really worried because shes pyramiding.

What can I do?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Not often but sometimes we have long dry spells and I use a hose Y on a regular hose and barely crack open one outlet and get a very fine mist coming out and mount it to send the mist into the air and let it fall into the enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello I have a sulcata shes about 2yrs and she spends most of her days outside. There is plenty of sun but we live in arizona and it's a dry heat. We get just about no humidity here.

Is there some way I can create humidity for her outdoors? Or is it okay for her not to have humidity outdoors for some reason?

I'm really worried because shes pyramiding.

What can I do?
What size is your tortoise?

What I do is humidify the night box. And I also let them burrow once the weather gets consistently hot. Usually in June here, and probably the same for you.

If the enclosure is heavily planted and bushy, you can run sprinklers and misters on hot days, but its so dry here in the Southwest that it doesn't do much on such a large scale.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For my rain forest tortoises I pounded T- posts into the ground 10 or 15' apart then strung drip pipe along the tops of them. I punched in sprinkler-type emitters about every 5'.

This is what the sprinkler-type emitter looks like:
drip emitter.jpg

Every afternoon I turn on the water and these emitters spray my 'rain forest.'

Rain Forest 5-14-20.jpg

Out in the African savannah I run the sprinklers every other day or so. Also, there are large clumps of tall grasses for them to shelter under to help maintain the moisture.

SA Savannah.jpg

Dudley has a pineapple guava he loves to sit under:

Dudley 9-9-15.jpg
Dudley and Little Brother 10-13-16.jpg

The babcock leopards live on the plains, which is overgrown with tall elephant grass. There are also several trees and a grapevine to help hold in humidity. I have the drip pipe strung along the tops of T-posts out on the plains too, and I turn on the water if the temperature is going to be in the 100sF:

Babcock plains.jpg

L

LasTortugasNinja

I lived in central AZ for 20 years. Arizona averages 30% to 50% daily humidity, with 60% to 80% humidity in the mornings, similar to much of their natural range. You probably don't need to do anything except on the one or two super dry days in June or July at 20% or less. If they get their soakings, you should be fine. If you have drought resistant grass or bushes and plenty of shade (which will increase humidity), that should do it by itself.

Last edited by a moderator: