Crazy idea or not ?

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
In my never ending quest to keep Speedy from pyramiding , I bought this little "electric simmering pot" . It is supposed to be used for scents in your house. My idea was to put it on a shelf in Speedy's night box and fill it with water. I think the warm water evaporating into the air would help create a more humid atmosphere ? Thoughts pro , or con are welcome . I still have 30 days to take it back ! ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not crazy if it works. Give it a try. Just make sure the cords and pot is not accessible by the tortoise.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I guess I should have posted a pic, it is ceramic and I think the biggest drawback would be the small size ?

pot.jpg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I'd like to know if it works. I worried all last winter about Charlie's heater drying him out.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I'd like to know if it works. I worried all last winter about Charlie's heater drying him out.
I was experimenting and had it full and plugged in most of yesterday. It really never did get hot , after several hours I could still wrap my hands around it and pick it up ! I am thinking a couple of tubs of water on that shelf might work just as well ?
m1516.gif

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I was experimenting and had it full and plugged in most of yesterday. It really never did get hot , after several hours I could still wrap my hands around it and pick it up ! I am thinking a couple of tubs of water on that shelf might work just as well ?
m1516.gif
Oh well, it sounded like a good idea. I think several people put tubs of water inside. I don't know how much it helps.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Oh well, it sounded like a good idea. I think several people put tubs of water inside. I don't know how much it helps.
That's what I thought when I saw it , but I just don't think it gets any warmer than the heated night box will ! If you want to Experiment , put some bowls of water in one room , and see if your humidity goes up in that room.
We have our almost non-existent humidity here , plus running the air conditioning makes the house really dry . We have put glasses of water in each room , in an out of the way place . Super "low tech" but it does help !

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
They make sponge type things for incubators. You put them partly in water and it wicks up and goes into the air.