Crayfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
I have a lot of left over crayfish from Xmas. (My brother the chef wanted to add a different fish to our Xmas 7 fish tradition) Can and would a Redfoot eat any of it? Is fish even something ever offered in the diet,Yeah I know South America isn't known for it's fish, but hey you give cat food to a RF and I don't know any torts that can open a can, my lab can just fine, but not my RF..
Just curious before I toss them.
Thanks Nay

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I feed fish to my meat eaters. Of course there are fish in SA, silly. Remember that HUGE river that runs through the middle of it, called the Amazon? :p

They are a lot more likely to find a fish in the wild that has died and washed up on the bank of a river or stream than they are to stumble upon a beef heart or can of cat kibble ;)

I wouldn't give them "a lot," but a little won't hurt. And I bet they would eat it just fine. Mine relish any meats that I give them, which typically is just lean fish. I don't feed cat or dog food ever. Just salmon and mackerel, sometimes a little shrimp or sardines, etc.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I caught one of my grand kids giveing Pio a scallop. I never saw him eat so fast. I also give him a few pieces of flounder when I make it.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Yeah, gee Kristina, forgot about the Amazon!! But never really thought about torts eating them, thanks alot guys!! I love finding new things to feed them. Wonder how they will deal with the shell! I rarely give my guys anything like chicken or ever cat food. Feels weird. And with the 2 older ones being so pyramided (NOT by me, got them like that) I was always told protein did it(Now we know it's more likely bad humidity right Tom??
So I guess I will give them a treat.
Thanks
Nay

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Crayfish is good as a treat, but not as a staple meat. Besides, RF's wouldn't spend all day diving to the bottom of a river to catch crayfish, right??? ;)

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Crawfish do come out on land to dig their hole and make thier little"chimneys". If I were going to feed it,I would peel the tail and give it a little rinse to get rid of the orange fat that is usually attached.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Well on great advise I decided to try the leftovers on my torts. The big RF's kept eying them, (I broke them up) So funny when they keep looking, like uhhh, what is it??? The ornate , she'll probably try it, but was cautious, I never asked about whether a leopard should get any so I skipped her.
And my little Nougat, who I have been putting on the for sale posts, she is such a cool tort. She went right up to the thing and started ripping. She just may end up staying here. (I just hate having 3 enclosures..lazy)
Thanks Nay

http://picasaweb.google.com/NadineNat/Nougat02#5556126674701802290

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I would say no as far as the Leo goes, but I bet once the others get a taste they will like it just fine :)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Forget feeding crayfish to the tortoises... eat them yourself!
Oh man would I love some fresh boiled crawdads about now.

But if you aren't going to eat them then by all means feed them to the tortoises. Like everyone else said, they will love 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.