Craigslist rescue, Dozer

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
PXL_20230716_121444362~2.jpg

Dozer's Sunday brunch: kale and Timothy pellets and Mazuri and watermelon.

He got an extra long soak when I got back from my housesit in Maine, and since then I've been foraging a variety of local greens: grape-leaves, plantago, dandelion, Rose of Sharon, birch, beech, maple.

I'm interested to see how the weigh-in looks next week... he'll have been living here for two months, and he seems to have put on some nice growth lines, but I was away for most of two weeks (although my son helped out a bit with the torts while I was gone).

He's very active and likes to explore. His eyes are bright. The scratches he came with on his neck are fully healed. He generally drops two large, solid, and well-formed poops during every soak.

In general, I really enjoy living with Dozer, and I think he's doing OK, given that it's not the ideal environment for his kind in the long-term.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Looking great and if you have the room and money to build the proper size cold weather shed, he will do just fine in your area.
I'm falling in love with him day by day, and think I could probably swing the shed/greenhouse, but I worry that he'd have a better life with someone down in FL or LA... at present my plan is to find and drive him a new home within a year or so, but we'll see.

Jamie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm falling in love with him day by day, and think I could probably swing the shed/greenhouse, but I worry that he'd have a better life with someone down in FL or LA... at present my plan is to find and drive him a new home within a year or so, but we'll see.

Jamie
I think you would be a great home too but either way, glad you rescued him and good luck with whatever you choose.
Keep the updates coming.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
PXL_20230717_173857893.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~3.jpg

It was hot enough in my neck of the woods to get Dozer outside for a few hours today...

PXL_20230717_174651839~2.jpg

He loves nibbling his way around the outside enclosure I've got set up for him... today I saw him chasing ants and crickets and nipping at them for the first time.

J

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
PXL_20230812_152953969.jpg
Dozer gets a daily soak

PXL_20230813_191124044~3.jpg
I get him outside when the weather's nice

PXL_20230815_203135711~2.jpg
Today he got a bed of kale topped with alternating piles of:
* rehydrated seaweed and Timothy Hay pellets and hibiscus flowers