Cracked lower beak. Please help!

Tanuki

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, GA
Hello. I have noticed this beak crack on our soon to be 3 year old eastern Herman’s tortoise. I don’t know how it happened, there was no known trauma. He seems to be acting normal, active, exploring, eating great. Can anyone please tell me what could have caused it? He is very curious and likes to explore everything in his outdoor enclosure: rocks, shells, driftwood, etc. I believe he might have bitten something too hard, but I am not sure. Will it heal on its own? Can I do something to help? How dangerous is it?
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1625.jpeg
    IMG_1625.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1627.jpeg
    IMG_1627.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@Yvonne G should be able to help you. Welcome to the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In order for the new beak growing out from 'the quick' to not split as it grows you must stabilize that crack so it can't move. A small piece of Gorilla tape over the crack, then a dab of good sticking glue or fiberglass, etc.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
There is a bit of an overhang on the top beak which when eating may have applied pressure to bottom beak. We recommend feeding on terracotta flower pot base to help keep the beak trim. If there is a sharp edge on lower beak you can get a nail file to gently remove an edge. Try above post #3 to stabilise and also look at a large terracotta dish for fresh food and find someone to help you trim the top ie a reptile shop or vet.

Last edited:

Tanuki

Atlanta, GA
In order for the new beak growing out from 'the quick' to not split as it grows you must stabilize that crack so it can't move. A small piece of Gorilla tape over the crack, then a dab of good sticking glue or fiberglass, etc.
Hi Yvonne. Thank you so much for your reply. Could you please be more specific about the beak stabilization steps? Do I first put a dab of super glue, then a small piece of tape, and then another dab of super glue on the edges of the tape? Or does the tape go directly on the crack and superglue goes on the edges of the tape to secure it? What type of superglue is best for this: I can buy gorilla or locktite superglue. Can superglue alone work, or do I have to use tape as well? If so, what kind of tape would be best: gorilla or fiberglass? Also, how do I immobilize the tortoise? I can probably swaddle him in a towel, but how do I prevent him from retracting his head into the shell? I searched the internet back and forth and there is no info on this whatsoever. I am a dentist, and I do have dental materials available. I was thinking of putting a thin band of flowable composite on it, but I don’t know if it will bond to the keratin of the beak though, and if it does, whether it will come off when no longer needed. Thank you very much.