Crack on the shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
Recently I discovered a crack at the bottom of my Russian tortoise's shell as seen on the first pic (only on the other side and it's very small) so put a Band-Aid on it (as seen on the second pic) so my question is: will the Band-Aid hurt him in anyway? Or stop his shell from breathing?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tortoise Boy:

If its not bleeding, there's no reason for a band aid. You can treat all kinds of injuries on tortoises the same way you would treat injuries on humans...if it needs a doctor, take him to the vet. If it needs antibiotic ointment, do so. If it needs a band-aid, put one on.

But I don't think you have anything to worry about with that crack. Leave it open to the air so you're not sealing in germs. If its something new and fresh, it will heal itself. If its old, a band-aid won't do anything.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
emysemys said:
Hi Tortoise Boy:

If its not bleeding, there's no reason for a band aid. You can treat all kinds of injuries on tortoises the same way you would treat injuries on humans...if it needs a doctor, take him to the vet. If it needs antibiotic ointment, do so. If it needs a band-aid, put one on.

But I don't think you have anything to worry about with that crack. Leave it open to the air so you're not sealing in germs. If its something new and fresh, it will heal itself. If its old, a band-aid won't do anything.

Ok it's new and there is no bleeding I just don't want it to fall off an a piece of his shell missing but if I should take of the Band-Aid I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.