Crack getting bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

wosman

5 Year Member
Hello everyone

So about a year ago I asked about how to deal with a very small chip on my tortoises shell. It doesn't look like much at all. However, a year later the chip is double in size (although that isn't saying much).

I'm curious as to why it isn't healing. I've noticed some of the coir substrate is even finding its way into the chip and sliding underneath the outer layer of his shell.

Is there anyways to ensure this heals? or at least to prevent it from getting worse. When i touch the area it seems like i could peel off an entire chunk of his outershell with my nail

any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
-Wess

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Do you have pictures? Maybe something like before and after?

wosman

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
Do you have pictures? Maybe something like before and after?

a before may be a bit tricky. I'll get a current one now though :D

wosman

5 Year Member
Here are some images. It's a bit tough to see, but it's there.

As mentioned, it's really small. just curious as to why it isn't healing.

Thanks gang!

p.s. you can see the little bit of wood chip that got in. should i attempt to use tweezers to get it out?

p.s.s. i got the wood chip out.

Attachments

• DSCF2617.JPG
    DSCF2617.JPG
    643.3 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCF2618.JPG
    DSCF2618.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 99

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Wes:

That's a great picture. Very easy to see the problem you're talking about. If you look closely at the scute the wood chip is under you can vaguely see a white or lighter colored outline around the wood chip. All that keratin on that scute is dead and peeled away from the bone. At one time the tortoise suffered an injury, maybe a burn from the light...but who knows, only guessing, and that portion of the shell was damaged and killed. Normally if the scute is damaged and dies like that, it is the whole scute and it falls off leaving an area of white dead bone showing. But since the rest of that scute is still alive, it won't peel off, it just stays there.

It is not painful to the tortoise and eventually (may take years) new keratin will grow under that bone, the dead bone will chip off. If you know a good tortoise vet, I'd take the tortoise in and get a vet's opinion as to what you should do about it. I'd like to say cut away the dead keratin, but that's something for your vet to decide and to do.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
That wedged-in sliver of wood can't be good for him. Any chance of removing it without damaging any of the surrounding keratin?

wosman

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately the only vet I know was pretty awful, which is unfortunate since my city is home to a massive veterinary college.

I was able to easily remove the sliver of wood using tweezers without causing any damage. When i first got mango he had that chip (he was wild caught, so no big surprise). I'll just try to make sure he doesnt fall or make it worse.

In the mean time is there any way to speed up the recovery or prevent any further damage other than providing UVB and calcium? should i clean the area at all with a disinfectant?

Thanks again!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I have often wondered if VitaShell can help accelerate healing. However, I don't know if it helps, hinders, or does nothing at all for chips like that. Anybody know?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, the healing is happening under the bone, and out of sight. Anything you put on topical, won't do anything towards the healing process.

Status
Not open for further replies.