Couple quick questions??

John C.

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit, Mich
I have a 3in baby hatchling, currently living in a 10 gallon tank (just for now). I have proper heat source and UVB light. I run those for at least 12 hrs on and 12 off, temp doesn't go below 65 at night.

When I first brought her home she was more active then she is now. I've soaked her once (bought her on Saturday 7/19) and kept her on a nice diet of romaine and kale so far and sprinkled calcium on it one of the times.

Lately she hasn't been so active and it's kind of making me nervous like in doing something wrong? I've never owned a tortoise before and was just wondering if maybe they're just not that active really, or is she more active when in away at work and I'm just not seeing it? Usually I get home around 3-6 then she doesn't really move from her corner all night.

Also, how much food at one time should she be eating, I don't wanna over feed nor under feed?

Thanks , and sorry for such a long post.. But I wanna make sure I raise a happy and healthy tortoise!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
A 10 gallon tank is hard to create a temperature gradient for thermo regulation. My guess, with a heat bulb and a ten gallon, is that she is too hot and cannot thermoregulate, and then temperatures are dropping too low at night.

What are the temperatures in your enclosure?

You should be soaking every day. Check out Tom's Sulcata/Leopard care sheets.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Babies do sleep a lot of the time. Loss of activity is usually a result of being kept too cool. 65°F at night is on the cold side for babies. They lose heat much faster than an adult. Try keeping the night time temps above 75°F. Romaine and kale is not a "nice" diet for a tortoise. They need much more variety.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Listen to the above to posts & good luck, nothing else left to say! :D Just check the care sheets & good luck :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would agree with the other posters here. Your night time temperature in my opinion based on all the care sheets, is way too low for a sulcuta hatchling. I think minimum night temp should be 80F. Also, a daily 20-30 minute soaking in pretty warm water is what is recommended. Do, id recommend you soak more, and check your temps, and check your lighting.

John C.

Detroit, Mich
Ok.. I have her on some food also the petstore recommended. They have a 17 year old sulcata on site as a store pet. Basically, you guys think I should get a night time basking light? To keep the warm temps up

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Since you have a pretty small enclosure, you want to be careful creating the right temperatures. Not baking, extreme heat, nor too cold. Maybe a low wattage CHE to keep the overall tank temp at 85-90. There's a big difference between what a 17 year old tort can handle vs a newborn/hatchling. Your baby needs to be pampered! Like.....a baby! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
John, I'm glad you found us. Your tortoise was not going to survive for long the way you were going. Sounds like you got some really bad pet store info (typical). Just from your post it doesn't sound like you got anything right. Not your fault, but it needs to change right now. Forgive my bluntness, but your tortoise does not have time for sugar coating and pleasantries. Lets get started:

Your tank is too small and needs to go now. Go get a large plastic storage bin or a large horse watering trough, or something similar. You can get a 55 gallon tub for about $15-20 at any hardware store.

Next you need a damp substrate. I like orchid bark. You can get a big bag at the hardware store for about $5. They call it "Pathway Bark" or something similar. Only get the fine grade stuff.

Next comes proper heating and lighting. You need a basking spot of around 100 degrees and the rest of the enclosure can fade to around 80, but no lower, especially at night. Ambient and night temps are easiest to maintain with a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat. Then adjust the temperature under your day time basking light by raising or lowering your fixture.

What type of UV bulb did they sell you? If its the coil type, shut it off right away. Those can burn reptile eyes. The effects are even worse in a tiny 10 gallon tank. Make your tortoise a safe outdoor enclosure and get it out in sun for an hour or two every day. This will meet all your UV needs.

Are you soaking daily? You should be.

I could go on and on, but its all here in the care sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

More tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Diet info. You need some help here too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Good luck. Hope we are not too late.

John C.

Detroit, Mich
I've upgraded my tank to a 20gallon figure the 10 was getting to hot, the bedding is a damp mulch kinda look to it. Soft for her legs. I'm gonna start soaking nightly.

UPDATE: once I put her into the 20 gallon she's been active and running marathons. Only time she's rested and slept was after her dinner.

Thanks all for the help and concern

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I've upgraded my tank to a 20gallon figure the 10 was getting to hot, the bedding is a damp mulch kinda look to it. Soft for her legs. I'm gonna start soaking nightly.

UPDATE: once I put her into the 20 gallon she's been active and running marathons. Only time she's rested and slept was after her dinner.

Thanks all for the help and concern
I'd suggest that you get a 50 gal, they are large and roomy... Look for used ones on the classifieds & Amazon :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Tom is the TFO sulcata man! If you do what he says you will have a life time healthy pet .