Couple Food Questions

Amajoy

Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, AZ
Dezzi is doing well adjusting to his new home. I believe he was being fed only romaine before I got him but he is doing a good job of trying all kinds of new things. I also received my seed mix yesterday and planted some in a small container, eagerly awaiting that to grow. I had a few questions and was hoping for some ideas or suggestions, I obviously know fresh is ALWAYS best but curious...

1. I purchased a lot of greens, too many for Dezzi to eat before going bad but that was because I wanted to give him variety. Has anyone tried blending (or not blending) and freezing these greens to feed at another time? I am talking the heartier greens like Kale, mustard greens, etc... I know you can buy frozen kale, I am just not sure if the torts will eat it once thawed... I suppose it could be blended after thawed and used as a "Dressing" over some fresh greens eh?

2. I read that sprouts of any kind should either be avoided or fed rarely to leopard torts, Its SO easy to grow your own sprouts in sprouting jars, I was wondering if anyone has tried sprouting the tort seed mixes? I am not sure if the seeds/shells left in there would be harmful or not to them, anyone who has grown their own sprouts knows its almost impossible to get ALL the seed shells out of there...

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
I've never had any luck freezing greens. They just turn to mush when they thaw. I give my left over greens to my 5 bunnies who happily gobble them up. When I use grocery store greens, I usually just buy one thing at a time and feed it till its gone or going south. For example, I'll buy a thing of escarole and then mix that up with weeds, grass and the other stuff I feed. When the escarole is gone, I'll go buy radicchio or endive or whatever. The waste went way down when I started doing just one green at a time.

I have never tried sprouting any of the seed mixes since I too have read that they are not good for torts. Maybe someone else will chime in on that one though.

Glad to hear your tort is doing well :)