Couldn't resist lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tempe, Az
well a while back, I took two misfit hermans from my LPS. one has one eye the other has a split scute.
but of course the pet store had 1 perfect hermans left lol.. theyre all sold out now :D

IMG_1614.jpg

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Oh split scutes are great! My little Maui is a split scute, and she's a real sweetheart too
DSCF0713.jpg

Yours are all cute. Did the one lose the eye or was it born without?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just to be sure there really is only one eye, dab some antibiotic opthalmic ointment on the missing eye three times a day for a few days. If its just injured and stuck shut, this will help it heal and open. If nothing happens, you'll know for sure the eye is gone.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
How great would that be if it had the other eye!

Yvonne, by antibiotic ophtalmic ointment you mean terramycin right?

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
emysemys said:
Just to be sure there really is only one eye, dab some antibiotic opthalmic ointment on the missing eye three times a day for a few days. If its just injured and stuck shut, this will help it heal and open. If nothing happens, you'll know for sure the eye is gone.

as great as that would be, the eye is nowhere to be found.
heres a thread I posted with a pic of the missing eye.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Cy-s-missing-eye

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hey Kenny :) I guess there like Lay's potato chip's you can't just have one :D That's great you have them all now :cool:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I like groups of three the best myself. I also have a very soft spot for a special scute tortoise.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Aww you're making me want hatchlings :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are gorgeous. The breeder of my leopards told me that the split scutes are always female. I recently saw a young sulcata with a split scute and she was definitely female. Does it work that way for Hermanns? I really like this species. I intend to get some this summer.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I heard that split scutes are almost always female because higher incubation temps produce females and the same higher temps produce split-scutes.

Not being a breeder though, this is just what I've heard and have been told.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, I've heard the same thing, just wondering if some of the long term breeders can verify it. I don't have enough breeding experience either. I've never produced a split scute.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
Tom said:
Yeah, I've heard the same thing, just wondering if some of the long term breeders can verify it. I don't have enough breeding experience either. I've never produced a split scute.

Me 3

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
i think the reason most if not all are females is because of incubating temps. i think. I heard that from somewhere, either way nice looking babies reminds me of my old baby greeks

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Nice pics Kenny, did you get those at AZ Reptile Center? They always have really good tortoises from time to time.

One of my eggs that just hatched was incubated in the mid eighties and has irregular scutes. They mentioned at the TTPG conference that split scutes happen when incubated at all types of temperatures.

Not sure if it counts but my male star has irregular scutes, only 4 mid lateral scutes(?) instead of five.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
Neal Butler said:
Nice pics Kenny, did you get those at AZ Reptile Center? They always have really good tortoises from time to time.

One of my eggs that just hatched was incubated in the mid eighties and has irregular scutes. They mentioned at the TTPG conference that split scutes happen when incubated at all types of temperatures.

Not sure if it counts but my male star has irregular scutes, only 4 mid lateral scutes(?) instead of five.

Nah, these are from Pets inc.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Pets inc is good too, I wish The Ocean Floor still had their reptile section.

moswen

5 Year Member
oh how wonderful to have some exciting new babies! something tells me you may not want to breed them lol... one born split scute and another without an eye... inbreeding to the extreme lol!

i have a soft spot for impaired animals... i probably would have done the same thing! glad to hear the lost eye poses no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.