Could this be HYPO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starfield

5 Year Member
So I've had this little guy or gal for a few months now and can't help but wonder... Does this creature look like its carrying hypo genes? or is my little Dolly just exceptionally light? Iris color is very light, nearly white.... I will try to get a picture of the eye... I'm out of town for two weeks and the kids are being watched over by my plenty qualified house sitting friend

Attachments

• image-3156694728.png
    image-3156694728.png
    206 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3488701706.png
    image-3488701706.png
    207 KB · Views: 70
  • image-36168782.png
    image-36168782.png
    229.4 KB · Views: 55
  • image-3687360871.png
    image-3687360871.png
    289.6 KB · Views: 66
  • image-377723528.png
    image-377723528.png
    983.3 KB · Views: 64

EricIvins

5 Year Member
starfield said:
So I've had this little guy or gal for a few months now and can't help but wonder... Does this creature look like its carrying hypo genes? or is my little Dolly just exceptionally light? Iris color is very light, nearly white.... I will try to get a picture of the eye... I'm out of town for two weeks and the kids are being watched over by my plenty qualified house sitting friend

Nope - just a lighter animal that will darken up as it gets bigger......

starfield

5 Year Member
Thanks a bunch.... She is still on of my faces out of "the dirty dozen" :p now Eric .... Where can I find a real hypo?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
starfield said:

Nope - just a lighter animal that will darken up as it gets bigger......

Eric is right on the money ....:D

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
kingsnake and fauna classified are probably your best bet to finding a hypo... but be prepared to spend bigggg.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Mgridgaway said:
kingsnake and fauna classified are probably your best bet to finding a hypo... but be prepared to spend bigggg.

You can find them here too......;)
DA14.jpg
HYPOGRIND.jpg
HSHOT.jpg
HYPORFMEET.jpg
You wont find too many at all for sale let alone viewed in person as there is just a handful of these in the country.
" big is just a word ....." ....:p:D

JD~:)

Tom O.

10 Year Member!
i have to a animal looked like this. but now hes a little darker

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Tom O. said:
i have to a animal looked like this. but now hes a little darker

Would love to see pics of that guy~ :D
...... My adults are 12 years old , and the hatchling in the pic is a year old ....A true hypo will maintain the light coloring it's entire life with darkening to a small degree only with seasonal changes. I too have had extra light redfoots right out of the egg and up to 2 years old , but like others have mentioned they too become dark when reaching adulthood. You can spot a real hypo in a heartbeat when viewed in person.
Here is an example of a young RF ...." LIGHT" color ... but not a Hypo.
goldenbabe8-1.jpg

EricIvins

5 Year Member
There is definately more than a handful in the Country........Some are starting to produce in numbers........The difference is whether you want Hypo Northerns or Cherryheads - Both are available, as are locality animals from some Hypo projects.....

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
There is definately more than a handful in the Country........Some are starting to produce in numbers........The difference is whether you want Hypo Northerns or Cherryheads - Both are available, as are locality animals from some Hypo projects.....
Eric ... handful is just a guess,( most folks dont veiw in person 100's of torts, like the wholesales guys such as yourself.) I'm talking about people who OWN and Breed their own hatchlings, as I only know 2 others who have Adults,in the states. And for the last 5 years have only seen 3 juvi's for sale. Heck if there that Readily available , then why don’t you see more hatchlings for sale? Would love to see more of them ..... fire away them pictures when you want!
:D

Cloud 9 said:
nice torts btw :).

TY Cloud ' ...:)

EricIvins

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
EricIvins said:
Eric ... handful is just a guess,( most folks dont veiw in person 100's of torts, like the wholesales guys such as yourself.) I'm talking about people who OWN and Breed their own hatchlings, as I only know 2 others who have Adults,in the states. And for the last 5 years have only seen 3 juvi's for sale. Heck if there that Readily available , then why don’t you see more hatchlings for sale? Would love to see more of them ..... fire away them pictures when you want!

Cloud 9 said:

The people that produce them don't have to advertise them. They have waiting lists that fill up every year, or offspring are Exported to Asia or other Countries where our retail is their wholesale........

Hypos are brought out of Colombia each year.........Some make it to the States, while most are sent to Japan or China direct from Colombia.......

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
N2TORTS said:
EricIvins said:

Cloud 9 said:

The people that produce them don't have to advertise them. They have waiting lists that fill up every year, or offspring are Exported to Asia or other Countries where our retail is their wholesale........

Hypos are brought out of Colombia each year.........Some make it to the States, while most are sent to Japan or China direct from Colombia.......

Now thats a more correct statement~ :D Like I said NOT alot OF these are in the states ... ( I think I used the word handful) ..

EricIvins

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
EricIvins said:
N2TORTS said:
EricIvins said:

Cloud 9 said:

Now thats a more correct statement~ :D Like I said NOT alot OF these are in the states ... ( I think I used the word handful) ..

There are quite a few Turtle/Tortoise guys in Florida that have producing Adults......More than you think......One guy has been producing them for years without even realizing they were something different up untill a few years ago......Just because the majority of those offspring dont hit the US market doesn't mean there aren't alot of them......You just have to know the right people at the right time of year......That's all.......

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
N2TORTS said:
EricIvins said:
N2TORTS said:
EricIvins said:

Cloud 9 said:

There are quite a few Turtle/Tortoise guys in Florida that have producing Adults......More than you think......One guy has been producing them for years without even realizing they were something different up untill a few years ago......Just because the majority of those offspring dont hit the US market doesn't mean there aren't alot of them......You just have to know the right people at the right time of year......That's all.......

well your right ... you and I talked about some years back .. ( ya must have forgot) ....For myself I dont need to " know the right people" ... I hatch my own ....and Like you said most are sent out of state , with a years waiting list.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I always find Eric's insight very interesting... how long have you been in and around the business?

starfield

5 Year Member
N2 torts i sent you a pm... Eric please point me in the direction of the right people?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
starfield said:
N2 torts i sent you a pm... Eric please point me in the direction of the right people?

it never came through? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.