Could somebody explain this sentence?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
I know there are lots of English native speakers on this forum, so I hope someone can help me.

My homework is to write an article about this topic:
Examples of commonly used strains and how strain genotypes are indicated.

I'm not sure about the meaning of "indicated". Do I have to explain the reason why we need different strain genotypes?
http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/appreciated..html
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think in this case "indicated" means how you can tell it is a certain strain.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
So the person is seeking to sort out how the genotype has expressed itself --> the phenotype.

Genes are all the potential you have, the environment or selective breeding does not use all the genes, some can not both express at the same time, like say both red hair and black hair for people. Based on the dominance of genes and the environment the individual animal lives in some genes will not be seen, or 'indicated' by the result of how the animal grows/grew.

Some of what makes the interest confusing is that are we talking about an individual or a population? Within a population all the genes and their variance (alleles) exist. One individual will have a subset. So, with the hair color again, an actual single person's hair color is determined by the specific genes for hair color, within a population many hair colors can be found. But for the most part you can indeed sort out who someone is by various traits, such as hair color, skin color, eye color things like this.

Then there are those other things that are expressed by the environment, height, weight, agility are things with upper/lower limits, but are strongly influenced by the activities of the individual.

So for example with Anguate tortoises, some have much more red on the plastron than others, some get much larger than others. In part these indications, (what you see on the outside of the animal) are based on genes and life history. These things, color and size "indicate" both genes and environment, to some extent that they become 'normal' or expected for individuals or subsets of the whole population.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Some of what makes the interest confusing is that are we talking about an individual or a population?
It's about yeast and e.coli strains (mutants like "Dh5α" or "H7Fc" that are commonly used for genetic experiments).
I'm still confused... :(

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It's about yeast and e.coli strains (mutants like "Dh5α" or "H7Fc" that are commonly used for genetic experiments).
I'm still confused... :(

How do you tell them apart?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Ask the person that asked the question for clarification. It's the best way to understand what the question really is...