Copper to prevent algae

Tortstrip

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I have a small hole in my yard that naturally collects water that my sulcata likes to soak in during the day. All of the water drains out overnight and I refill it in the morning but the soil never gets completely dry, so it grows quite a bit of algae. I’ve seen that putting a small copper pipe in the water could prevent algae, as long as I make it big enough and stick it in the ground to where she won’t eat it, do you guys think this would be safe?

(She has two separate water dishes in the shade that get dumped and cleaned every day)

Attachments

• IMG_1022.jpeg
    IMG_1022.jpeg
    410 KB · Views: 3

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Copper is used in the aquarium hobby to control certain parasites. But I'm not 100% sure that it's entirely safe for animals. Though the copper water pipes in my house probably lean towards it being safe.
SHADE controls algea very well. That and the removal of nutrients that the algea also thrive on

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Copper is used in the aquarium hobby to control certain parasites. But I'm not 100% sure that it's entirely safe for animals. Though the copper water pipes in my house probably lean towards it being safe.
SHADE controls algea very well. That and the removal of nutrients that the algea also thrive on
I rethought that too, the copper pipes in the houses. But the copper for aquariums, many different kinds of fish will die from copper treatments and even pipes.
But our tortoises drink water from the copper pipes we have in our houses. Is soaking in it different than drinking it? Likely safer to soak then drink.
But we use the same water to soak them too.
I think I have to say, after much thought and typing it out, it likely is safe

Tortstrip

Oklahoma
I rethought that too, the copper pipes in the houses. But the copper for aquariums, many different kinds of fish will die from copper treatments and even pipes.
But our tortoises drink water from the copper pipes we have in our houses. Is soaking in it different than drinking it? Likely safer to soak then drink.
But we use the same water to soak them too.
I think I have to say, after much thought and typing it out, it likely is safe
Thank you guys! Now that I think about it, I do have copper pipes that the water runs through that I soak her in normally. She doesn’t drink the water out of the hole as much because it’s usually pretty muddy and she drinks the water from her water bowl that is in the shade. I think I am going to give the copper pipe a shot, I did get it out of the plumbing section so it’s the same that our drinking water would run through

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a small hole in my yard that naturally collects water that my sulcata likes to soak in during the day. All of the water drains out overnight and I refill it in the morning but the soil never gets completely dry, so it grows quite a bit of algae. I’ve seen that putting a small copper pipe in the water could prevent algae, as long as I make it big enough and stick it in the ground to where she won’t eat it, do you guys think this would be safe?

(She has two separate water dishes in the shade that get dumped and cleaned every day)
First, I don't think a piece of copper pipe will do anything. Second, I don't think it is needed. A little algae never hurt anything. Its a plant. It uses up waste products and gives off oxygen. If it is draining every night, you've got no worries.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you guys! Now that I think about it, I do have copper pipes that the water runs through that I soak her in normally. She doesn’t drink the water out of the hole as much because it’s usually pretty muddy and she drinks the water from her water bowl that is in the shade. I think I am going to give the copper pipe a shot, I did get it out of the plumbing section so it’s the same that our drinking water would run through
Yeah, when you think it out, you realize how much they are already getting water that's been thru copper.

Tortstrip

Oklahoma
First, I don't think a piece of copper pipe will do anything. Second, I don't think it is needed. A little algae never hurt anything. Its a plant. It uses up waste products and gives off oxygen. If it is draining every night, you've got no worries.
Even if it gets pretty thick on the bottom? Honestly, I’m gonna trust whatever you say, it just makes me nervous that she’s walking through it so much.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Even if it gets pretty thick on the bottom? Honestly, I’m gonna trust whatever you say, it just makes me nervous that she’s walking through it so much.
But look at that face! That is the perfect mud hole!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of my tortoise water bowls get algae growing on them. Been that way for decades. Never an issue. I've seen tortoises living in smelly swampy mud, like sleeping in it over night, and no issue. I think your green summer mud hole will be totally fine, especially since the water in it is replaced daily.

Tortstrip

Oklahoma
All of my tortoise water bowls get algae growing on them. Been that way for decades. Never an issue. I've seen tortoises living in smelly swampy mud, like sleeping in it over night, and no issue. I think your green summer mud hole will be totally fine, especially since the water in it is replaced daily.
Okay, thank you! I get a little paranoid sometimes and worry about her a bit too much

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, thank you! I get a little paranoid sometimes and worry about her a bit too much
Look at it this way. You have both options. If you don't like it, then try the copper. But if you don't want to bother, then she's still okay with it. She's fine with whatever way you want to do it.