Algae Control

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
Have aquarium on patio with small RES. Past month seems that algae is really growing probably because of the warmer humid weather. Read that salt can control algae in aquariums? Is this safe for RES? Other than frequent water changes what else can one do to control the growth? How about a couple of pleco fish for algae eating? Also ordered some Tetra Algae tablets.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
How about nerite snails or ghost shrimp or amano shrimp? The snails might be seen as a snack but the shrimp might be small enough to escape the RES's notice.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Some salt will help on the algae and have no ill effects on the turtle. With sunlight or any UVA / UVB you will have algae growth. I do put a few plecos in with my turtles and if you keep really good water quality and a bigger enclosure I might add some high fin ( or banded) sharks. Snails are also great but also great turtle food so they never last in my tanks or pond except they do get established in the filters and plumbing!!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oh. I also do use plants. I take most any good houseplant and wag off the roots and stick it in a " turtle filter" without the filter pads. They grow great hydroponically. Really boost the filtration and compete with the algae. Plus I let the plant grown into the water and give great hiding places for young turtles. An older RES would probably tear it up

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oh. I also do use plants. I take most any good houseplant and wag off the roots and stick it in a " turtle filter" without the filter pads. They grow great hydroponically. Really boost the filtration and compete with the algae. Plus I let the plant grown into the water and give great hiding places for young turtles. An older RES would probably tear it up
Here's some wedelia chinensis in a tank with young spotted and painted

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464140125.261554.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I go with two or even three and go with smaller ones. Plecos get big pretty fast and they can do some very aggressive sucking on a small turtles shell legs and neck. I just don't like one big enough to do any potential harm to my very young turtles I keep indoors. So I find I need a few to put a dent in the algae as they grow I just trade them in at the fish store for smaller ones again

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Why type of filter you have? I have a 125 gal tank with an under the tank canister filter with a UV light inside the filter. I have not cleaned the tank in probably 3/4 months and it is crystal clean.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can put the plant in with the filter pad and the roots will grow pretty quickly and fill the space. Once that happened we now just put the root ball in without the filter pad

mrscornsnake

We have a large tank with 8 water shellys. We keep two sucker fish (plecko) they keep the algae in check. The shellys don't eat them because they are spiny and they even seem to like the fish cleaning there shells. They grow to the size of there environment so you can start small and let them grow with your Friends.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
We have a large tank with 8 water shellys. We keep two sucker fish (plecko) they keep the algae in check. The shellys don't eat them because they are spiny and they even seem to like the fish cleaning there shells. They grow to the size of there environment so you can start small and let them grow with your Friends.
Thanks, plan on taking a trip to the pet store tomorrow to buy a couple of plecko. Hopefully that'll help keep it under control.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Bought 2 med size pleckos today but they didn't last 5 minutes before my RES decided to go after them and took a bite out of one -- I got them both out and now my grandson has a couple of pleckos in his aquarium. Guess I can cancel out the pleckos for algae control. Got some Tetra Algae control tabs - we'll see how that works out.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
best algae control based on my experience
pennywort.jpg

65312.jpg
7457255_orig.jpg

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
1. penywort, can grow both land and under water crazy. also edible to tortoise and human (if you dont want them taking over your lawn, you better figure out a way )

2. hornwort, can provide good resting spots for small turtle, but a lot turtle love nipping at it

3. water hyacinth , very good at absorb excessive nutrient and no turtle want to eat them. but roots can over grown and stuck pluming system

Last edited:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Have aquarium on patio with small RES. Past month seems that algae is really growing probably because of the warmer humid weather. Read that salt can control algae in aquariums? Is this safe for RES? Other than frequent water changes what else can one do to control the growth? How about a couple of pleco fish for algae eating? Also ordered some Tetra Algae tablets.

So the glass aquarium is outdoors? I am a little confused? Why would you utilize a glass aquarium and yet not have it indoors? I only ask because a glass aquarium is essentially a space that has no buffer/ to surrounding environment, hot and sunny-water temp radically increases, cool and nigh- water temp radically decreases...I mean, in an actual pond/lake the mud and natural plants would offer up micro climates that the turtle can use to gain what it needs and while yes, algae does occur, it is not the same as what you are likely dealing with in the glass aquarium outdoors....

There is also a manual magnet glass cleaner that you can use to physically remove the algae from growing on the glass and then a filter is needed...RES's are like the goldfish of the turtle world....they are a pit of water pigs and generate a lot of waste and can really muck of water....so if for example you are running a 40 gallon tank then the minimum filter you use should move at least double but the more the better...like a filter designed for twice the water volume....this will also help....but the outdoor exposure is going to be an ongoing challenge for the turtle to regulate as well as you...

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
So the glass aquarium is outdoors? I am a little confused? Why would you utilize a glass aquarium and yet not have it indoors? I only ask because a glass aquarium is essentially a space that has no buffer/ to surrounding environment, hot and sunny-water temp radically increases, cool and nigh- water temp radically decreases...I mean, in an actual pond/lake the mud and natural plants would offer up micro climates that the turtle can use to gain what it needs and while yes, algae does occur, it is not the same as what you are likely dealing with in the glass aquarium outdoors....

There is also a manual magnet glass cleaner that you can use to physically remove the algae from growing on the glass and then a filter is needed...RES's are like the goldfish of the turtle world....they are a pit of water pigs and generate a lot of waste and can really muck of water....so if for example you are running a 40 gallon tank then the minimum filter you use should move at least double but the more the better...like a filter designed for twice the water volume....this will also help....but the outdoor exposure is going to be an ongoing challenge for the turtle to regulate as well as you...
I moved the aquarium outdoors under our covered patio and because of the warmer weather. I also thought about putting in another filter and have one on order from amazon coming in this week. The one I'm using now is a decorative basking rock with a filter inside. Hopefully doubling up will help.