Cooler Hibernation??

tortoishell

Location (City and/or State)
Washington, USA
I'm afraid that my tortoise won't be able to breathe in the fridge if we go on vacation. If I can duplicate the conditions in a cooler, would that work too?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can put a hollow tube in the crack if you are concerned. I used to use a pen body with the innards removed. Over time I stopped using that because it isn't needed.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
Okay I probably sound really stupid but my fridge has the rubber airtight thing around the door, and I'm afraid if it's open, even a little bit, it'll waste energy. If the cooler is cold enough, will it work?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay I probably sound really stupid but my fridge has the rubber airtight thing around the door, and I'm afraid if it's open, even a little bit, it'll waste energy. If the cooler is cold enough, will it work?

What kind of "cooler". Like an ice chest that you would put drinks in? How will it be kept the correct temperature.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
I'm planning to use something similar to ice packs (probably just ice cubes in plastic bags). Our cooler is pretty cold by itself, but with the ice packs it should be at the right temperature. We have a steady supply of ice. I will but him in a smaller box and then transfer box into the cooler-- I don't want him directly touching the ice.
The cooler is like an ice box. I'm thinking that the lid will be propped open a tiny bit, not enough to let warm air in, but jut enough to allow air for him to breathe in.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You need a steady temperature around 5C (41F) for hibernation. Never above 10C (50F) It must not freeze, 0C (32F).

I think this will be very hard to achieve in a cooler with ice / ice packs. You won't get the even temperature. Torts do move about and the risk of it getting too close to the ice is high.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
JoesMum is right. Invest in a refrigeration unit. I never go on vacation, given that I own two businesses and maintain around twenty tortoises at any given time (oh woe is me, I know), but if I were to leave town for any reason that would be longer than two days, I would have someone I know in town check up on my guys. I don't know how necessary it is to open the door on a daily basis for a few seconds to allow an exchange of oxygen, given that I suspect my tortoises' metabolic rates during brumation are incredibly low as to require very little oxygen (and keep in mind that turtles in the wild brumate at the bottom of ponds absorbing only dissolved oxygen in the water to meet their needs; sure, turtles and tortoises aren't the same, but I figure the metabolic need for a mammalian requirement for oxygen is probably not an issue for brumating tortoises; perhaps someone with more knowledge concerning the biology of this can chime in here). Having said that, I still open the door on the unit every day, and I check up on the tortoises every week, making sure they respond to a single touch to the arm, and I weigh them to ensure that they aren't losing too much weight. But that is probably more information than you required. Bottom line, have someone there, and get a refrigerator.

T.G.