Controlling Grass

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
What do you guys do, for your non grass eating species, when grass begins to take over your enclosure? It begins to block out the weeds and is difficult to walk on as it grows super tall for the russians.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been weed whacking for the last two weeks!

In my Chersina pen, I was able to pull out the grass clumps by hand, one clump at a time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have this problem too in my Russian yard. For the past two years I have dug out the grass in the Fall once the tortoises are out of the yard, and every year it comes back thicker than ever. There is no solution other than moving the tortoises to a different yard and killing off the whole yard with weed killer or ground sterilizer. But then that yard has to stay vacant until you're sure the ground is clean and safe. I guess we just have to live with it and use the line trimmer when it gets too tall.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of you...buy a goat! ?
I've used herds of goats for weed control in the past. The damn goats eat the best parts of their favorites and then leave the rest. Sheep do a much better job of razing the place.

Both leave far too many Raisinettes behind for me to want to use them inside a tortoise pen. :D