constant humid vs. soaking and spraying??

Status
Not open for further replies.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NV
Hey im a new owner of a hatchling leo. Hes not in his table yet due to age and health (read other started threads if interested and/or for details).

First u must know i live in nv where humid is very low.
My question this time is if i dont enclose my table to hold humid up would a few sprays a day and a good soaking everyday be enough for the little guy? He has a nice rock water bowl thats easily accessable also. And if that isnt going to be enough in your opinion does anyone know of a really good pet safe waterproof coat i would be able to waterproof my walls and roof with if i need to make it more enclosed?? Thank you everyone for your help! I couldnt have dont it (right) without you :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I keep my baby leos on coco coir. I keep the top layer dry and underneath wet by pouring water in the corners rather than all over the top - then I spray the entire enclosure once or twice a day. That works for me. I also plop them into their water everyday - they can climb out whenever they want. I use a shower curtain on my tortoise table. I stapled it to the sides. That seems to work nicely for me! Good luck!

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
How funny i used an old pool my roommates dogs tore up. Great minds think alike and like to save money lol. So your enclosure isnt covered at all? And u live in a freakin desert too? Lol

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
blastoise91 said:
How funny i used an old pool my roommates dogs tore up. Great minds think alike and like to save money lol. So your enclosure isnt covered at all? And u live in a freakin desert too? Lol

Mine is covered with wire only (to keep the cats out!)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Higher humidity around 80 is what you should be trying to get. Higher humidity, daily soaks and spraying is one of the best ways. Or what I do is everything except the spraying because I have a small humidifier in the enclosure. Put a top on your enclosure and the humidity should rise if it is damp inside. Hot, humid and hydrated is how you want to keep them.:D. Also read the following threadmif you haven't.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding-II-The-Leopards

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
Yes yes im very aware of that. My question was if soaking spraying and moistish substrate would be enough. and pet safe sealers i should look at for waterproofing my roof and walls if need be.

Ive been planning on looking into a humidifier when i get paid but thank you. I know petshops have sealerz but i also know theyre expensive fromcthere and it would take alot. Cheaper easier accessable is what im looking for.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't no anything about sealers. The other if you are doing the soaking, spraying and keeping the moist substrate moist enough, then it would be enough because your humidity would be higher. If you are not than no, it wouldn't be enough:D

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
Well kinda lol its really dry here. Without roof itd be difficult to keep humidity up at a constant. Im going to get A roof ive decided with the help. just need that sealer lol. No rotting wood and mold for my table :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Couldn't you just paint it with marine paint? I used marine
Aint in my bath room for a wood window frame that is inside my shower. I wouldn't think it would be toxic. Maybe research it on the Internet. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have had the best results in a closed chamber style enclosure. The more open and less humid the enclosure, the bumpier the torts grow, in my experience. Humidity seems to me to be a way to keep the shell more moist for longer and it also slows the rate of dehydration when the tort is breathing moister air.

The question of what to use to seal wood has come up many times. Many suggestions have been made, but I have no experience with any of them and can't make a recommendation. Mine are all untreated thus far. Others have suggested Drylok, Mystic Paint, and shower curtain or plastic pond liners for the bottoms. I've seen aquariums made of wood and lined with fiberglass. You could also seal the edges with silicone and install those FRP sheets.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Are you just looking to safely protect the tortoises enclosure from moisture related damage, or a bigger area? I have a large custom built cage for my snake (reticulated python-another humidity loving creature) and is all wood and plexiglass; we covered the interior wood parts with a countertop grade linoleum and used silicone piping at the seams. He has been in their for years with no rotten wood or toxicity issues and I wouldn't hesitate to use the same materials for my own tortoises. If it is just the enclosure maybe that could work for you. Additionally; if you are having a hard time enclosing the entire area for high humidity why not offer a humid hide inside a plastic tote in one area of the enclosure; these are generally very simple and affordable.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
My waterproofing concern is mainly what is known to be safe for them and handle the humidity. I thought pet safe paints and things were more commonly used in tort tables. The bottom is lined with a pool in my table and held in place snug underneath the walls. Lining the walls the same will be a pain. Paint would just be ideal. More tidy looking and easy i suppose. Thanks. Ill just have to spend a day at lowes again lol

katherine said:
Are you just looking to safely protect the tortoises enclosure from moisture related damage, or a bigger area? I have a large custom built cage for my snake (reticulated python-another humidity loving creature) and is all wood and plexiglass; we covered the interior wood parts with a countertop grade linoleum and used silicone piping at the seams. He has been in their for years with no rotten wood or toxicity issues and I wouldn't hesitate to use the same materials for my own tortoises. If it is just the enclosure maybe that could work for you. Additionally; if you are having a hard time enclosing the entire area for high humidity why not offer a humid hide inside a plastic tote in one area of the enclosure; these are generally very simple and affordable.

Yes he will have a moist warm hideaway. A must in nv where 40% is high. I was orginally just curious if misting and soaking and hides ect.. would be enough to keep him healthy and smooth. But im going to get a roof, humidifier, and new substrate asap before he goes in.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
Ive gotten plastic sheeting to cover walls. warm vapor humidifier and cardboard roof (temporary. Im cheap right now lol) all i need is more substrate and sealant like silicone or something.

Dont know what to get though. Theres a million kinds of sealants. Recommendations? Dont want my little guy getting ahold of some and getting sick. Also important to know theres no pet shops in my tiny town. Only walmart walgreens and lowes. Nothing specifaically for pets thats y i ask.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
Instead of wasting another thread hopfully someone can answer me a question. Im having a hard time knowing how accurate my humidity meter is. I have a nice laser surface temp gun also.

Question is if my substrate is moist does that necissarly mean its humid?? It will be kept the right temp but if my meter if off i would like to know how to better identify suitible condions for my baby leo. I soak everyday. And mist a few a day and water is always available. If my substrate never gets dry and i keep it moist am i good?? if my surface temps all around, and basking are on spot of course.

Fyi he isnt in the table yet. Im just building knowledge. And im using cyprus mulch underneath organic topsoil mix. About a foot deep all together.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have a top on it, and substrate is moist, temps are right then the humidity should be right. When I had the same setup I have now, but with no top, I couldn't get humidity past 26, except when I was adding the water. But would dip down again in no time. With the tops on, went up right away and stays. I have two tubs, the one with the humidifier is 90+the other tub is 60+. Hope this helps:D

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
Quite a bit. Thank u. Wanna be able to know what looks right since theres no way to know if its accurate.
But Im having a really hard time figuring out how to do the lights and still have a top or lid of some kind on it (carboard till i have money for more wood). I cant clamp with a lid in the way. Any suggestions to releive my frustrations lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Humidity gauges can vary a lot in how accurate or inaccurate they are. I have a few but don't really trust any of them 100%. I agree with Barb. With an open top and a heat lamp in a dry room, its is going to be low humidity in there. In a covered top enclosure even a little moisture is going to stay in the air in the enclosure and accomplish what you are after.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have plastic lids. I just cut a hole in the lid beneath the light and i hang it just above the hole. I also have a Che that sits over a hole that I cut a little smaller than the Che metal reflector. I put a tin foil ring under it to help protect the plastic from melting, so far it is working.

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
How often do u run ur humidifier? Is it possible to just leave it on low all day and not worry about too moist? Or is it a use it a few hours a day type thing? Im sorry for the random questions lol im in a hurry cant deal with weeks of trial and error.

Cut holes in plastic with tin foil edges!!! Fantastic!! So easy yet i would have never put it together haha. Ive got tons of leftover plastic from lining the table and I had the lights suspended oringinally. Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have the humidifier come on at 7 a.m. Along With the lights and MVB. It goes off at 7p.m. Along with the lights and MVB. Only have the CHE on at night, so I figure the humidity will stay up seeing the MVB is off, which is what dries things out the most. However I have never really checked the humidity gauge at night to see where the humidity stayed at. I am now at the point that my humidifier and gauge dies. So tom. I will be going out to get new.
As long as your temps do not fall below 80-85 day and night, I don't think you have to worry about to much humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.