Completed Tort Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRVEESO

5 Year Member
After much hard work and multiple C-notes it is finally finished, aside from painting it.

I started out with a basic plan and framed it using two by fours and plywood.. 8 feet long, 4 feet wide with 18 inch sides. The substrate is mosty organic topsoil with a bit of play sand mixed in for texture (I may skip the sand when I change it out next time). I also water sealed the inside for greater water and humidity tolerance. I sunk terracotta saucers (spelling?) in the ground, one for water and one for food. I had the ACE hardware guy cut me an appropriately-sized top piece then the correct size cut out of the center so I was able to sink the 160 Watt, 3.5 feet by 1 foot radiant heater in it. I then placed the basking light as you can see. I noticed it was still very hard to hold heat and humidity so I started covering the open side with a bed sheet and that did the trick. I am going to wait to install the thermostat until it gets closer to summer and the heat becomes an issue. For now I need every bit of heat that panel can produce... Thanks for reading. :)

Attachments

• completed tort table.jpg
    completed tort table.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 133

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's a nice, big table. I'd like to see the inside after you've got it all set up (including the tortoise in it).

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
That the way to do it, but you are going to have a problem with humidity unless you cover it. Try and get a piece of plexiglass instead of a bed sheet (fire hazard). Other than that its a superb table.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I was having an issue with humidity and temps with my greeks table. I then took 2 x 4s and built two over head beams just higher than the lights. I then laid a sheet of plastic over and stapled it to the 2 x 4s so it could not drop down on the lights. I can tie it up in the front when I am watching him and all other times I close it up and it keeps it warm and humid.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Jessicap said:
I was having an issue with humidity and temps with my greeks table. I then took 2 x 4s and built two over head beams just higher than the lights. I then laid a sheet of plastic over and stapled it to the 2 x 4s so it could not drop down on the lights. I can tie it up in the front when I am watching him and all other times I close it up and it keeps it warm and humid.

Thats a great idea.

TRVEESO

5 Year Member
Yes.. the sheet comes nowhere close to any source of heat.. but I do want a better option and I was already thinking of a large sheet of plexi. Thanks for mentioning it, too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.