Community housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredmyyster

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Corpus Christi, Texas
Hi everyone, just thought i would share our housing outback. To the right is Brutus's enclosure complete with his bring him home wagon used at the end of the day. The enclosure itself is a 6X10' kennel, i butted his red house door to enclosure fence and cut away to fit door and stapled in place. Inside he has an Osborne HD pet heat pad with T-Stat controller and a 75watt flood overhead. I installed aT-stat with long probe that reaches inside so i can read from outside the house in winters cold without having to open his door to allow a draft. In addition, i insulated walls with R-13 then eclosed that with plywood and built a false ceiling with insulation above. The other 2 houses you see have the same only a smaller version of each. So while we freeze in our house all tortoises are comfy in winter.

Attachments

• Housing.jpg
    Housing.jpg
    667.2 KB · Views: 135

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very cool....I like when folks have a variety of set ups....good stuff...:D

Oh, I forgot to ask---how big is brutus? :D

fredmyyster

5 Year Member
Corpus Christi, Texas
Hi Angela, Brutus weighs right at 65 lbs. Bernie 30lbs and Bitzy 2 lbs, all Sulcata's. My Redfoot, Enzo, might weigh 7 lbs. Girl Turtle and Chip who are Eastern's maybe a lb :) Please tell me of your Redfoot

Hi Ms Long, Its always nice and toasty in their confines LOL Meanwhile, i freeze in my house to save on heating bills

mctlong said:
Sounds like there'll be some warm tortoise this winter. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
fredmyyster said:
Its always nice and toasty in their confines LOL Meanwhile, i freeze in my house to save on heating bills

Lol.

What area of the country do you live in?
Nice! I think we need a couple of additional pictures just because.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! It looks like down town San Francisco!! I love all those roofs together.

fredmyyster

5 Year Member
Corpus Christi, Texas
Sulcatas.jpg I live in Corpus Christi Texas so anytime it gets below 60 degrees we freeze ! brrrrr lol
Here is a photo of Brutus, Bernie and Bitzy

lynnedit said:
fredmyyster said:
Its always nice and toasty in their confines LOL Meanwhile, i freeze in my house to save on heating bills

Lol.

What area of the country do you live in?
Nice! I think we need a couple of additional pictures just because.

Last edited by a moderator:

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
So when it's, say, 40 degrees outside, what temp do you have their houses set up for? I'm asking because I live in FL and have sulcatas. I bring them in during cold nights, but Tubby is 70 lbs. now, so it would be nice to figure something else out, as he's only going to get heavier. blah.

fredmyyster

5 Year Member
Corpus Christi, Texas
approx 85 degrees in Brutus's house, its easier to control in the smaller houses. Tubby is awesome !

shellysmom said:
So when it's, say, 40 degrees outside, what temp do you have their houses set up for? I'm asking because I live in FL and have sulcatas. I bring them in during cold nights, but Tubby is 70 lbs. now, so it would be nice to figure something else out, as he's only going to get heavier. blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.