Commercial tortoise food

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Owing to the porous lattice-like structure of the cuttlebone, the gastric acidity tends to dissociate the 85% CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) content rather rapidly so Ca++ availability is not likely a problem with cuttlebone. The protein content is approximately 1.8% and carbohydrates 7.1%.

Cuttlebone Analysis

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
DeanS said:
Mazuri was first manufactured for zoos and large scale dairies and such! It promotes quick growth...and is an excellent protein source.

Zoo Med is an all-in-one really. It contains sun-cured and freeze-dried portions of EVERYTHING your tort would eat in the wild...they claim it prevents pyramiding...it doesn't. If your tort will eat it and you don't care about fast growth...then this would be your choice.

Marion Zoological makes a biscuit similar to Mazuri as ingredients go...but it contains red dye. I don't know if that would be detrimental to a tort's system...but the color alone should turn them into eating machines. I'm still waiting to see what other peoples' results are before I even try it! When I worked at San Diego Zoo 15 years ago, they were just starting to work it into the gorillas diets, as well as the pandas. There was a lot of resentment from the keepers at the time...but then again...SD has a couple of 40 year old and a couple of 50 year old gorillas...that are ripped with little fat...GREAT LOOKING ANIMALS!

My torts (and every tort I've offered it to) go nuts over the Marion Red Sticks, but mine show only slight interest in Mazuri or Zoo Med.

Weight/growth stays at a steady increase of (averaging) 10 grams every two weeks (youngish adult Herminni B's).

And that's beet juice that makes it red, not food dye.

Totally satisfied w/ Red Sticks and encourage you to try some for your torts. :cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
JoesMum said:
It also depends on the variety of tort you are trying to feed. Greeks shouldn't be fed protein

I think what you meant to say is Greeks shouldn't be fed animal protein. All plant matter contains protein.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
JoesMum said:
It also depends on the variety of tort you are trying to feed. Greeks shouldn't be fed protein

Iberian's will take animal protein, as available, as will Hermann's...I've had both both take earthworms and slugs, occ. (as opportunity arose) and one Iberian I had got himself a small (maybe 10") snake and ate it w/ gusto.

Occasional animal protein seems to be something they appreciate, but I never supply it to them, just let them get it when they can.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Terry Allan Hall said:
JoesMum said:

Iberian's will take animal protein, as available, as will Hermann's...I've had both both take earthworms and slugs, occ. (as opportunity arose) and one Iberian I had got himself a small (maybe 10") snake and ate it w/ gusto.

Occasional animal protein seems to be something they appreciate, but I never supply it to them, just let them get it when they can.

I agree with Terry. I don't purposely feed my Mediterranean tortoises animal protein but have frequently seen many of them devouring slugs and even small snails. No doubt they are eating earthworms too since they're plentiful in the tortoise enclosures. Mediterranean tortoises require some amount of protein, albeit a small amount. Animal proteins should not be purposely fed to Testudo species but consuming small amounts on their own will cause no harm. Many of the plants that they consume in nature, as well as in captivity, contain varying amounts of plant proteins.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
HLogic said:
Owing to the porous lattice-like structure of the cuttlebone, the gastric acidity tends to dissociate the 85% CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) content rather rapidly so Ca++ availability is not likely a problem with cuttlebone. The protein content is approximately 1.8% and carbohydrates 7.1%.

Cuttlebone Analysis

Great! Thank you!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Terry Allan Hall said:
My torts (and every tort I've offered it to) go nuts over the Marion Red Sticks, but mine show only slight interest in Mazuri or Zoo Med.

Weight/growth stays at a steady increase of (averaging) 10 grams every two weeks (youngish adult Herminni B's).

And that's beet juice that makes it red, not food dye.

Totally satisfied w/ Red Sticks and encourage you to try some for your torts. :cool:

Actually...I've been talking to one of my old colleagues at SD Zoo...and he's gonna hook me up with a bag to see how it goes. I'll run a thread when I start up!

kastalarial

5 Year Member
Anyone tried Sera Raffy Vital? That's the only commercial food I can get. It says it has wheat, I ready somewhere wheat is not appropriate for torts.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Cereal grains, like wheat, are not good in the raw state, but once processed, should not be a big deal, at least in theory.

However, there are lots of concerns of varying degrees of likelihood over things like wheat, corn, etc. in diets in general- human and animal diets alike. I DO think there is some validity to these concerns but there needs to some good research on it.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
DeanS said:
JoesMum said:

Says who? They can eat protein rich vegetation like any other 'grassland' tortoise! And cuttlebone isn't going to supply calcium only...there's protein in there as well!

actually, cuttlebone is mostly comprised of calcium carbonate and other trace elements. protien would be found in the muscle of an animal ;P

if there is any protein, which i highly doubt, there is hardly any if at all. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.