Coming up on day 130...questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
My Cherryhead laid 4 eggs about 130 days ago (127 to be exact)
My question is, do I need to spray eggs to help hatching? There are def torts inside. I candlelit them about 3 weeks ago and saw them moving all around. Now I can hardly see anything as they are completely filling the egg. I just want to make sure they can hatch out ok. Please give me any advice:) Much appreciated. And if 130 days is normal. I have been excited since day 80 lol and have been checking them daily ever since, waiting for a crack lol.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
You must be on pins and needles!! I wish I had an answer for you but I'm sure someone will come along and help.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Well everything sounds right on key ….. The anticipation will kill ya ….
Keep your temps stable and humidity up ….no need to really spray the eggs although if a dry type set up wouldn’t hurt at this point to light mist 1x a day . I have cherries that have hatched anywhere from 110 days all the way to 187 days ( and all in between) within the same clutch. The wonder and excitement will definitely keep you on your toes. Pretty cool you can see them move around …..would make a great picture ( hint hint ) I myself don’t touch them from the moment placed into the cooker. After working with 100’s of eggs I can usually pick out the “ bad ones” within a matter of weeks even without candling .
Best of luck and Congrads!

JD~:)

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Thank you for the info. And YES I have been dying for a crack! One egg does have a hairline crack. Noticed it about 24 hours ago. Is it normal to have a hairline crack for such a long period of time with no other progress? Wasn't sure if it needs help with misting to help it crack the egg open?

The temp is a steady 87 degrees with humidity between 80- 85

I am nervous because I have had a problem before with a Yellowfoot that couldn't hatch out and died inside the egg. If I didn't go through that experience I wouldn't be so nervous.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Once again your feelings and experience thus far is right on track . Many who do breed , only share the plus side and success, while never really sharing their failures. I to have had the same thing happen with "dry" eggs ( like you mention) . How long has your egg been cracked? It, could be a pip and or too much moisture will make eggs crack early on . If you don't smell a really foul smell , chances are your still in luck . Best thing to do is leave it in there and hope for the best. Your temps and humidity sound perfect. Wish ya well~
JD~:)

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I really appreciate it. I feel confident that these guys are OK. And I have to just be PATIENT.

Status
Not open for further replies.