Comes when called

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
A quick photo of the stone, who now comes when called... most of the time.

livingstone081410.jpg

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Yah, the power of the food god is tremendous... I took her to the park today for an hour, the first thirty minutes were spent eating clover, she had no interest in me with all this readily available good food around. fickle.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Food > than people, always.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Livingstone is waaay too cute!!
I have a giant field behind my house (think soccer field) and Nelson used to graze there all the time last summer- it had tons of clover, plantain, dandelion, etc. but this year it's not growing as many weeds- boo :(

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
nice pic of the 'stone'!!! bright eye, I can tell there's a TON of personality there.

(smiles!)

teri

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
tortoisenerd said:
Wow do you have a park near you that is chemical free? Very cool. Lovely tort!

That still remains a serious question in my mind. I emailed the coordinators of the park, they told me where they spray, they also told me where it was safe. I dont graze her there often, primarily because I dont have enough time to do so.

I do however pic all my dandelion and clover from that park, I have done so since livingstone arrived at my door 1 year and 4 months ago.

So to the best of my knowledge, and with livingstones health and appearance as proof, it seems to be safe.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yeah its tough to know and you kinda have to take their word. There are some nature areas near my house I feel pretty comfortable picking stuff from that is away from the roads and paths. I don't know how to identify much besides dandelions though. I still end up buying dandelions a lot too. I don't see any of the weeds near me that people have posted photos of online and I guess I'm too lazy to figure out what they are. I think a tort could ingest weeds with pesticides and not show symptoms though. It would have to be pretty bad before they would. Its just something I feel that its better if my tort doesn't, even if other people feed their torts non organic stuff with no signs of problems.

repurt_lover

5 Year Member
Hi! Does your tortoise really "come" when you call him? If so that is awesome! I am getting a tortoise in about a month and am really excited for the experience. How did you teach your tortoise to do that; because it would be awesome if I could show mine when I get him. Thanks!

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
repurt_lover said:
Hi! Does your tortoise really "come" when you call him? If so that is awesome! I am getting a tortoise in about a month and am really excited for the experience. How did you teach your tortoise to do that; because it would be awesome if I could show mine when I get him. Thanks!

Its more operant conditioning than anything else, it started when she was young and kinda a.d.d about when food was put down. I started tapping the side of her enclosure and calling to her when the food was put down.

After doing that for a year plus, if I call and tap, she will hussle out of her burrow to check out the situation.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
what a beautiful girl! bert looks at me and kinda pays attention, but he doesnt come yet. then agian i have only had him for 7 weeks. maybe in 10 years he will come when i call him! do you take your girl to the park all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.