Colorado Tortoise Enclosure needed for Red Foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfbug

5 Year Member
I am currently renting a place and probably won't purchase a house for a few more years. My red footed tortoise needs a new cage. Right now she is in a temporary one that is too small. She is around 7" long right now and I would love for her to have more than enough room to roam.
I am unsure what to get her or build for the best enclosure that would be easy to clean, keep the cat out (I know putting it on a stand or table won't keep my cat out), and something that I can move between rentals. Since, Colorado is pretty dry I would also like it to hold moisture well.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what would work best?

Doe s

Thalatte

5 Year Member
What about doing a 3-4ft cube that is fully enclosed and has multiple levels for exploration? It should last awhile would be relatively cheap if you used wood and glass. And if you made it in a top and bottom section it would be easy to move.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Check out the "enclosure" thread. There are many ideas there.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
If you are not a carpenter, how about 2-3 rubbermaid or sterilite enclosures, with ends removed and nested together. Zip tied? You could make this as large as needed, or pick an 'L' shape.
Xmas tree storage bins may still be on sale, two of them connected would be very nice. You could use the lid frames, with cut outs for lighting or plexiglass. Tube lights would connect to the inner upper side.

These could be dissembled for moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.