Color Change

Paul Runyon

Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
I have read some of the threads about their torts turning color like mine is. It seems people think its the substrate staining or the UV causing burns. I would assume if my course coconut fiber was staining, his legs and shell would be stained too. So that leads me to believe that the lighting is the cause. However, only his head is colored, not the top of the legs or neck skin. From the bottom of the lamps to the top of the substrate is roughly 15 inches, which seems plenty far away. The UV light recommends 12-24 inches away. The basking light is a 65 watt halogen. The other two lights are CHE night lights that run constantly. Temps are 100 in basking spot and 80 in the cool end. Humidity is 85+ all day and night now. I have digital thermometers in all areas and a laser temp gun to monitor basking spot.He is very active, eating like a horse, and consistently relieving himself. He is getting a bath daily, two on the weekends. He has been outside a couple times this week for short burst. I'm not sure what else it could be. I am attaching pictures of the tank, tortoise, and equipment. I was thinking of changing out the UV set up for a regular bulb one (not coil). Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC00149.JPG
    DSC00149.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 60
  • DSC00147.JPG
    DSC00147.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 55
  • DSC00143.JPG
    DSC00143.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 46
  • DSC00144.JPG
    DSC00144.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 49
  • DSC00145.JPG
    DSC00145.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 42

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your pics are too big for me to download at my current location, but I can tell you that its normal for them to darken up with age. It does not mean anything is wrong. Substrate and food staining as well as UV exposure and plain old "dirt" all contribute to them looking darker and more "weathered".

Paul Runyon

Surprise, AZ
I hope you are right Tom. However, I only see the color change on his head, his legs are still the same color. His head looks dark brown and really dry. Humidity is 90% and temps were perfect. Yesterday, I changed the set-up to try and see if there is a difference. I am trying deep bulb UVB (not coil) instead of the UVB strip I had. The temps are all out of whack now. I'm not sure what to do.....go back to the old set up hoping it isn't burning him or stick with the new set up and get the temps right??? Thoughts