color change in juvenile gulf coast box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
My 1.5 year old gulf coast has stayed quite drab in the shell. However, his face is turning white. I thought that happened when they got old. What color changes have you noticed in your gulf coasts, if you keep any?

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Many gulfs are characterized with a dark nearly black shell with white facial features, its sounds as though you have a wonderful young black phase gulf :).

The early onset of facial features may be caused by his fast growth :) he is going to be a monster!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
turtlemann2 said:
Many gulfs are characterized with a dark nearly black shell with white facial features, its sounds as though you have a wonderful young black phase gulf :).

The early onset of facial features may be caused by his fast growth :) he is going to be a monster!

Yes, so you keep reminding me!! LOL

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
It probably has nothing to do with age, but simply is part of the mature color pattern. Post a pic of him!

Steve

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Millie always had a colorful shell, and it has stayed that way. But now she is getting a lot of yellow on her face, legs and neck, and her eye's are turning red. But it's still too early to tell what sex she/he is yet.
When I first got her
009-59.jpg

030-31.jpg

This week
019-2.jpg

033-2.jpg

006-78.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Mine does not have all that yellow on the skin. Or the shell for that matter. He just has a dark colored pretty bland shell, black skin and white on the chin and jaw area. I think all that yellow coloring on the actual skin is pretty unusual in a gulf coast.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
lisa127 said:
Mine does not have all that yellow on the skin. Or the shell for that matter. He just has a dark colored pretty bland shell, black skin and white on the chin and jaw area. I think all that yellow coloring on the actual skin is pretty unusual in a gulf coast.

My male has some yellow
YellowMale.jpg

My subadult female has ALOT of color and is amazingly colored ill have to go take a picture and post it here

From what i can tell there are two strains of GCBT a tan phase and a black phase the tan phase has a more likly chance at having yellow coloring while the black phase has a higher liklyhood of the white face.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Beautiful Scott. I don't know anything about the GC box turtle, but yours looks very similar to mine. I've never had one and this is my first.

Status
Not open for further replies.