Coil bulb..

Boogeyman

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. .
Does anybody have a pic of the coil bulb that is bad for tortoises? I'm just trying to make sure it's the one in thinking about.
Thanks in advance

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
In general coil bulbs make too bright a single spot of light without regard to other considerations.

Consider that a 24 watt coil bulb puts out the same amount of light as a 24 watt T5 HO tube. The T5 HO bulb does this along a 22 inch length, the coil bulb in a 2 inch diameter circle.

Those other considerations are the ballast is as cheap as possible, it's a throwaway with the bulb, and the balance of light seems to allow some aspects of the visible or invisible spectrum to cause irritation to the eyes of animals. When used in your home to light yourself the bulbs are often covered with a shade or a few feet above your head in a 'hat' in which case the light is dispersed in a room. When we use them for our pets we are seeking to get as much UV as possible for the D3 synthesis and so have them very close. Blindingly close.

Even the best most perfect manufactured coil type bulbs are too intense for how they are intended to be used to illuminate and provide critical parts of the visible and invisible spectrum for pets. Straight tubes are better.

https://www.facebook.com/KapidoloFarms

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Best not to use coil or compact bulbs due to risk of eye damage and/or inadequate UVB production.
Strip bulbs or MVB (mercury vapour bulbs) are generally preferred here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone. .
Does anybody have a pic of the coil bulb that is bad for tortoises? I'm just trying to make sure it's the one in thinking about.
Thanks in advance

We have seen this problem with any of the cfl type bulbs. The folded, rectangular type has the same issues that the coil type has.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why is this one bad for tortoises? I missed something apparently.

Not just tortoises, any reptile. Sometimes they burn their eyes.

They are also not effective as a UV source, so says my 6.5 Solarmeter.

Banjos n Boxies

Iowa
Both my three-toed boxies have had the coil cfl UVA/UVB bulbs for more than a year now. I didn't know there had been problems with these in the past. I switch last June when their florescent tube UVA/UVB bulbs and fixtures began to wear out. When I made the switch, I watched them closely for changes in behavior or health. I didn't notice anything (still haven't). I'll definitely keep an eye on them, but for what it's worth, the boxies are as active and healthy as ever and are without any symptoms of eye problems.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There are always exceptions to the rule, but would you want to risk damaging your tort's eyes by trying these bulbs then waiting to see what happens? I certainly wouldn't!