coconut mulch stuck in hind legs

rorostortoise

Location (City and/or State)
washoe valley, nevada
I recently adopted my moms red footed tortoise and was giving him a little checkup when i noticed coconut mulch substrate stuck in both his hind legs. I have tried everything suggested, irrigation, tweezers, but I can't get him to trust me enough to let me help him. He acts like I'm pulling out his organs, which I understand, he is just scared and confused. However I cannot let the mulch stay there because that is a fundamentally bad idea. I don't know how long this mulch has been here. Should I take him to a veterinarian? How often should I check for substrate in the future?

Ricky j

Wisconsin
I recently adopted my moms red footed tortoise and was giving him a little checkup when i noticed coconut mulch substrate stuck in both his hind legs. I have tried everything suggested, irrigation, tweezers, but I can't get him to trust me enough to let me help him. He acts like I'm pulling out his organs, which I understand, he is just scared and confused. However I cannot let the mulch stay there because that is a fundamentally bad idea. I don't know how long this mulch has been here. Should I take him to a veterinarian? How often should I check for substrate in the future?
Soak him in warm water it should help loosen up the fibers

Ricky j

Wisconsin
i soaked him in warm water for about an hour, putting in new warm water every 15 mins so it didnt cool off. still no luck :(
When my Russian gets poop and debris stuck in the same area I just soak em then clean it out he gets pissed off but I do it anyways he'll get over it just use something small if u have toothpicks that have a blunt end use one of them if not just cut the pointy head off and use that it's easier to do after a soak it must be caked in there pretty good so I'd just go slow when extracting the mulch to avoid injury I don't think this is anything you need to take him to a vet for tho but I could be wrong

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Give the tortoise a long soak, and then pull the stuff out however you can. Needle nose pliers, tweezers, fingers... whatever works.

The tortoise does't need to trust you or relax. Just get it done as quickly and carefully as you can and don't worry about how the tortoise feels about it.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Are you sure it isn't excrement stuck in between the tail and the leg areas? Or do you mean than sharp pieces of mulch have penetrated into the tortoise's skin like splinters? A good photo would help determine what should be done.

If it is just excrement, soaking the tortoise for a good hour to soften it and then removing it with some implement such as a small screwdriver, a dull knife, or one of the things Tom suggested should work. You may have to remove some, then re-soak the tortoise to allow the water to soften the newly exposed areas.

rorostortoise

washoe valley, nevada
Update: he bit a piece of my finger off. I was being as gentle as possible, but the mulch is so far up there i couldn't even reach it. I swear he needs to be sedated or something. At this point i am worried he has a serious infection past all the mulch. Thank you for all your advice everyone.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Update: he bit a piece of my finger off. I was being as gentle as possible, but the mulch is so far up there i couldn't even reach it. I swear he needs to be sedated or something. At this point i am worried he has a serious infection past all the mulch. Thank you for all your advice everyone.
Take the tortoise to a good reptile vet who can tranquilize it to check the situation and then provide the tortoise the necessary treatment.

rorostortoise

washoe valley, nevada
i feel so awful that i didnt know some of the things that are required for taking care of a red footed tortoise im physically ill. its the middle of the night and i cant sleep just the thought of him suffering makes me nauseous. if he wasnt around i might not last long and there are no vets within an hour of my location. should i start looking in the next state over? im crying i dont know what to do my stepdad suggested pet cbd but idk anything about weed or tortoises (apparently) i would get on my knees and beg bolivar for forgiveness if he could understand me. my poor sweet baby boy. although he has only been in my care for a short time, hes been in my life for years

summary: im in an emotional state of distress and there are no vets that work with tortoises within an hour of me.

Attachments

• 69930727554__2B676DF1-CA2D-4EF4-B545-6BE9B8C6C92E.jpeg
    69930727554__2B676DF1-CA2D-4EF4-B545-6BE9B8C6C92E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2

zolasmum

5 Year Member
i feel so awful that i didnt know some of the things that are required for taking care of a red footed tortoise im physically ill. its the middle of the night and i cant sleep just the thought of him suffering makes me nauseous. if he wasnt around i might not last long and there are no vets within an hour of my location. should i start looking in the next state over? im crying i dont know what to do my stepdad suggested pet cbd but idk anything about weed or tortoises (apparently) i would get on my knees and beg bolivar for forgiveness if he could understand me. my poor sweet baby boy. although he has only been in my care for a short time, hes been in my life for years

summary: im in an emotional state of distress and there are no vets that work with tortoises within an hour of me.
What is wrong with him?
Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
What is wrong with him?
Angie
I realise now that you sent your last post in the middle of the night, so you probably haven't seen my previous one.
Without knowing Bolivar's problem, I can't really help, but if it's just that you have read the care sheets for him,and realised you have been making mistakes in his care, practically everyone feels the same - upset and guilty. Don't feel you ought to take him to a vet, unless it's really really necessary - you will get much better advice here. Tortoises are very resilient and with good care, he will have a very happy life with you.
If you could explain a bit more about what is upsetting you about him, that would help.
Please don't panic -things can be improved.
Best wishes from Angie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, ok (Yvonne pats the air encouraging Roro to calm down)! Tortoises have been around for thousands of years. There's not much you as a keeper can do in a few days, weeks, that will be harmful to your tortoise. I've seen some pretty awful pictures where the people have spent YEARS doing the wrong things to their tortoises.

The main thing is you've come here and are trying to learn how to care for your little redfooted tortoise. We'll give you as much help as we can. How about some pictures of your enclosure and tortoise?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hey! Don't panic. We would like to help you. Most of us here have stayed on this site because we got the help we needed, whether or not our tortoise recovered from whatever was wrong. Just having this tortoise and caring what happens to him, makes you a good person!

rorostortoise

washoe valley, nevada
I realise now that you sent your last post in the middle of the night, so you probably haven't seen my previous one.
Without knowing Bolivar's problem, I can't really help, but if it's just that you have read the care sheets for him,and realised you have been making mistakes in his care, practically everyone feels the same - upset and guilty. Don't feel you ought to take him to a vet, unless it's really really necessary - you will get much better advice here. Tortoises are very resilient and with good care, he will have a very happy life with you.
If you could explain a bit more about what is upsetting you about him, that would help.
Please don't panic -things can be improved.
Best wishes from Angie
he has mulch stuck in his hind leg pits and idk how long its been there also pyramiding

zolasmum

5 Year Member
he has mulch stuck in his hind leg pits and idk how long its been there also pyramiding
How long have you had him for? And how old is he?
The pyramiding is due to his environment, and you will be able to get advice from people who know much .more than me. Do you soak him every day? If you can give him a long soak twice a day, the mulch will loosen up and come out - it may be stuck in with poo as well, and it may take a while - if you gently rub and poke at it with a cotton wool bud each time , that should help to loosen it. Keep doing it every day until it is clear.
Please take photos of his enclosure and details of his diet and lifestyle - this will help people to understand what needs changing .
And don't worry - no-one here is going to be horrible to you - they just want to help you and Bolivar. He looks so cute, and he is going to have a lovely life with you . You just need to get some things sorted out,and you will be so proud of him.
Best wishes from Angie