Coconut coir?

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi guys l was in the petshop (as usual) when I saw a packet if coconut fibre. I was wondering if I could use it for him to hide in? It says it was for birds nesting material, will it be ok? It looks like:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited by a moderator:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi there, It's pretty quiet here tonight but suppose most people are hours behind the UK so will be here later.
I've not seen the fibre about, only the coir so can't help I'm afraid but it looks dry so you may have to spray if the more experienced folk say it is OK. Is it cheaper than the coir?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would say no ,because that straw will mold with moisture.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here is my enclosure coco choir with cypress mulch . The mulch helps keep the water and tortoises clean .

Attachments

• 1432332603169.jpg
    1432332603169.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 27

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I don't spend a lot of time in the bird section but It looks like the stuff used for hanging plant pots.

I would say no ,because that straw will mold with moisture.

I think that's the coconut fiber - it just isn't ground up. I don't think it'd mold.

I'd be more worried about the strands -potential hazard if eaten or if they'd possibly entangle limbs.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't spend a lot of time in the bird section but It looks like the stuff used for hanging plant pots.

I think that's the coconut fiber - it just isn't ground up. I don't think it'd mold.

I'd be more worried about the strands -potential hazard if eaten or if they'd possibly entangle limbs.
Looks like straw to me . I still say no on it for substrate .

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would also be worried because of the long strands. I would use coconut coir just to feel safe.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Ok thanks, it wasn't for the substrate. It's just I have a pot for a hiding place and he seems to prefer all of the other places as he can't hide properly in the pot so I was just thinking maybe I could put something in there. Is there anything I can put in there? He will pro rely try to eat it at first though.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Ok thanks, it wasn't for the substrate. It's just I have a pot for a hiding place and he seems to prefer all of the other places as he can't hide properly in the pot so I was just thinking maybe I could put something in there. Is there anything I can put in there? He will pro rely try to eat it at first though.
What about putting something like a spider plant near/over the pot so it's a bit more hidden by the leaves - would that work?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Is the pot on it's side or upside down with a hole cut in the side? (I'd assume it's on it's side - that's more common) A lot of people use moist sphagnum moss. I don't really like it, I prefer having a hide that is fully enclosed (with just a door) with just loose substrate inside.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
It's on it's side, he has other places to hide like his log and his favourite place, under his leaves. I just thought it would be nice if he could hide in something more humid or somewhere he could dig better. He doesn't really burrow in the substrate (top soil organic)