Coconut Coir Ingestion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
I noticed my russian tortoise was passing a long string of coconut coir this morning. It was probably about 2 inches long (almost 2/3 the length of his shell). I'm assuming it was accidentally consumed with normal food but is this something to be concerned about? Has anyone else experienced this? I was previously told by someone from the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society that Coconut Coir could be deadly due to consumption and impaction but I've been using it because everyone else seems to swear by it.

Thanks!

Patrick

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have used it for years and they do eat in on occasion but as long as they are well hydrated it will pass with out any issues.

Logan487

5 Year Member
The issue with coco comes if it wasnt given time to fully expand when you put it in the enclosure. (Not enough water used, impatient etc etc). As long as it fully expanded when you first decompressed it then it shouldnt ever cause you any problems other than to get on almost every surface. :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they will often eat substrate either by accident with food, or on purpose to see what it tastes like, as long as they are well hydrated like stated above it should not cause any problems.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
Logan487 said:
The issue with coco comes if it wasnt given time to fully expand when you put it in the enclosure. (Not enough water used, impatient etc etc). As long as it fully expanded when you first decompressed it then it shouldnt ever cause you any problems other than to get on almost every surface. :D

The substrate I'm using isn't a compressed brick. It's a bag of coconut chunks that I get at the pet store.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I use the compressed brick fully hydrated. I have not had a problem with it, and I currently am raising 5 hatchlings on it!! The only problem is that sometimes it sticks to them :p

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Mine have ingested some strands of the coconut substrate too but they haven't had any problems passing it. I hate it when it happens though, especially when I see it hanging out of their mouths. Makes me nervous as heck!

Status
Not open for further replies.