Coco coir

Violanna

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hey so We had a cold front come in yesterday and had to start running the heat last night. I’m noticing my substrate dried out FAST!! I’m wanting to get some blocks of coco coir put on top of what I have. About how many blocks do you think I’d need for around an inch deep in a 4x6 enclosure? I’m not sure how compacted they really are. I’m thinking about just getting the zoomed eco earth brand because amazon has a listing for 9 blocks for $23. I’m hoping that will be enough

RMTrescue

Alberta
Be careful with coco coir it drys out really quick and is flammable under the heat lamp.

Violanna

Texas
1. How many inches of substrate are you using for your adult Russian?

2. How are you keeping your substrate damp? What methods are you currently using?

You may finder a much cheaper price for this quantity in your local gardening center, tractor supply, or hardware store:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GSHK6EI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

He has anywhere from 4-6inches. I have spritzed it and I also water the plants in it every night.

Jerry's Mom

MA
Hey so We had a cold front come in yesterday and had to start running the heat last night. I’m noticing my substrate dried out FAST!! I’m wanting to get some blocks of coco coir put on top of what I have. About how many blocks do you think I’d need for around an inch deep in a 4x6 enclosure? I’m not sure how compacted they really are. I’m thinking about just getting the zoomed eco earth brand because amazon has a listing for 9 blocks for $23. I’m hoping that will be enough
You might only use a block to block and a half for only an inch deep for that size enclosure. Those blocks make a lot of loose substrate once soaked.

Violanna

Texas
You might only use a block to block and a half for only an inch deep for that size enclosure. Those blocks make a lot of loose substrate once soaked.

Even just the small zoomed blocks? They seem so tiny

Jerry's Mom

MA
Even just the small zoomed blocks? They seem so tiny
They aren't that small - not huge, its really compressed, but and once you soak them it really expands. I use them and was shocked at how much it makes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Coco coir is too messy and you can buy it in bulk blocks much cheaper than that.

Find some fine grade orchid bark near you. They usually don't sell it at Home Depot or Lowes, but OSH stocks it sometimes. I find it at local garden centers.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
He has anywhere from 4-6inches. I have spritzed it and I also water the plants in it every night.

1. Are you still using the soil mix with perlite in your enclosure?

2. Did you or your husband/kids do anything to treat/seal the inside of your enclosure? Are you using any pond liners?

A non-potted plant enclosure has it's own challenges. Spritzing isn't all that effective, especially when it's an open enclosure where temperature and humidity levels will conflict with the ambient conditions inside your home. Mixing is also problematic because of the developing and rooted plants. I myself have never had much success with keeping rooted plants in an indoor tortoise enclosure. Experienced members may be able to offer better advice in that regard.

Another concern is the condition of your enclosure. High humidity and heat will cause wood based enclosures to rot. Various measures such as coats of epoxy, fiberglass liners, silicone sealants, and pond liners placed in and or applied to a wood based enclosure will only extend the usability of the enclosure to some degree.

Violanna

Texas
Coco coir is too messy and you can buy it in bulk blocks much cheaper than that.

Find some fine grade orchid bark near you. They usually don't sell it at Home Depot or Lowes, but OSH stocks it sometimes. I find it at local garden centers.

What’s osh? I live 20mins from the nearest town no garden centers near me except hardware stores and Walmart. I have a million farm supply stores like Walden’s and tractor supply, they didn’t have coco coir so I doubt they have orchid bark.

Violanna

Texas
1. Are you still using the soil mix with perlite in your enclosure?

2. Did you or your husband/kids do anything to treat/seal the inside of your enclosure? Are you using any pond liners?

A non-potted plant enclosure has it's own challenges. Spritzing isn't all that effective, especially when it's an open enclosure where temperature and humidity levels will conflict with the ambient conditions inside your home. Mixing is also problematic because of the developing and rooted plants. I myself have never had much success with keeping rooted plants in an indoor tortoise enclosure. Experienced members may be able to offer better advice in that regard.

Another concern is the condition of your enclosure. High humidity and heat will cause wood based enclosures to rot. Various measures such as coats of epoxy, fiberglass liners, silicone sealants, and pond liners placed in and or applied to a wood based enclosure will only extend the usability of the enclosure to some degree.

IMG_1541722498.706723.jpg

This is a picture of my enclosure no perlite, it’s top soil and dirt from my yard. Which I think is my mistake I live in Texas and our dirt grows things well but is a very varied mixture so isn’t all that moist.

Most plants ARE potted, I have 4 small pansy seedlings that are planted in the substrate.