Cockroaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
Ok so i have this terrible fear of cockroaches, At work they find it funny because i will handle every animal and insect going,

But i see a roach and i run and stand as far away as possible ready to run again if need be. My heart speeds up and i get panic attacks if i see a live one, i cross the street if there is a dead one on the same walkway as me.

Does anyone else have a fear of something?:shy:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Talking on the phone, either landline or cell. and if you have a fear of cockroaches don't ever visit toms place he raises them for food (for his animals).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hm-m-m. That's a good question. I don't believe I have an actual "fear" of anything. I don't LIKE a lot of things, though. Water in my face is one of those. And, like David, I absolutely HATE talking on the phone.

John

5 Year Member
bikerchicspain said:
squamata said:
I have an uncontrllable fear of tortoises.

There is always one, and it had to be you.:D
Its always me.....Haven't ya ever heard all the little johnny jokes, I'm the guy they were talkin about.:D

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I have heard of people with a fear of clowns,
Unfortunately it's no laughing matter,

We get a lot of roaches here in Spain and to me they look like the size of rats..

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
dmmj said:
Talking on the phone, either landline or cell. and if you have a fear of cockroaches don't ever visit toms place he raises them for food (for his animals).

That's amazing. I thought roaches tasted bad, and that few animals could eat them. Maybe this is different for some reason.

Anyway, to answer the question in this thread, I don't have any phobias. However, despite being an animal lover, there are a few animals, namely arthropods, that I don't like and would never keep as pets:

- Tarantulas
- Scorpions
- Malagasy hissing cockroaches

I really don't understand why some people keep bugs as pets. I could never do that. I once kept a freshwater crayfish in an aquarium with minnows, but I released him again after a few days. He was interesting, but I am really not a big fan of arthropods. I also don't eat shrimp, lobster, or crab; they just look like big, aquatic bugs to me. I can appreciate arthropods for their important role in nature, but I am definitely not into them.

I would never keep venomous snakes as pets, either, but not because they are creepy, only because they are deadly dangerous!

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Hahaha I love this thread. Just because i don't have Tallula or a tort anymore doesnt mean i wont chime in here and there :)
I have a massive fear of most flying bugs, including cockroaches. We get teeny ones here in Dubai, but my little pug, Leia the grub eats them, so Im all good. If I squeal and point, she goes charging for it. Lucky me !

My biggest fear is being in the dark on my own. I cannot have a bed with a big gap underneath, it has to be a gap small enough for a person not to be able to crawl under ! And no, no the boogyman!! A person!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have an irrational fear of being alone in water, even a pool. I just won't do it. Yet I'm advance scuba certified and even love night dives. I'll be the SECOND person off the boat, just not the first.

I used to be squeamish of cockroaches when I was a kid, but through gradual desensitization, I FORCED myself to get over my irrational fear of a harmless insect. The species at my childhood home was Blatta orientalis. I now have a captive colony of them and feed them to my beardies, tarantulas and other insectivores. :)

Stazz, Aren't dogs just the best thing ever? My little Jack Russel takes care of pest ground squirrels and rabbits for me the same way. I just point and say "get 'em", the same way as you. Come to think of it, my Malinois and Dutch Shepards do the same thing with "pesky" humans. :) I LOVE dogs.

GTT, we finally stumbled onto an area of ignorance for you. I was starting to doubt that would ever happen. (I mean this in a fun, friendly way. :D)

John, you've ruined my perceptions. I always thought the "little Johnny" jokes were thinly veiled jabs at ME.

So Yvonne (BCS), I suppose that means you sending me a local roach pic for an ID is out of the question then, huh?

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Roaches give me the willies for sure, but we have so many of those German outdoor (I think) roaches here that we've just gotten used to them and now step on them barefooted (Sorry Tom). Watering my composter disturbs them and so many come pouring out that I do have to walk away or I'll be certain they're crawling all over me. Ick!

M

Maggie Cummings

GeoTerraTestudo said:
dmmj said:

That's amazing. I thought roaches tasted bad, and that few animals could eat them. Maybe this is different for some reason.

Anyway, to answer the question in this thread, I don't have any phobias. However, despite being an animal lover, there are a few animals, namely arthropods, that I don't like and would never keep as pets:

- Tarantulas
- Scorpions
- Malagasy hissing cockroaches

I really don't understand why some people keep bugs as pets. I could never do that. I once kept a freshwater crayfish in an aquarium with minnows, but I released him again after a few days. He was interesting, but I am really not a big fan of arthropods. I also don't eat shrimp, lobster, or crab; they just look like big, aquatic bugs to me. I can appreciate arthropods for their important role in nature, but I am definitely not into them.

I would never keep venomous snakes as pets, either, but not because they are creepy, only because they are deadly dangerous!

Tom has a picture of his daughter about 3 years old I think at the time with a gigantic cockroach on her chest! it blew me out...They creep me out yet here is this little girl with one on her...Post it again would you Tom?

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I do not like cockroaches at all! I never saw one until I was about 29 and was raised thinking only dirty houses have them, I now know that is not true it has a lot to do with the climate you live in. We get them in our garage and had them at my old house. But growing up in CT I never saw them. To answer the question I have an irrational fear of drowning, I panic very easily in water and don't like people to be around me when I am in water. I will not play on water slides or anything like that. I don't think water is for playing! My husband thinks I am crazy :)

wrmitchell22 said:
I do not like cockroaches at all! I never saw one until I was about 29 and was raised thinking only dirty houses have them, I now know that is not true it has a lot to do with the climate you live in. We get them in our garage and had them at my old house. But growing up in CT I never saw them. To answer the question I have an irrational fear of drowning, I panic very easily in water and don't like people to be around me when I am in water. I will not play on water slides or anything like that. I don't think water is for playing! My husband thinks I am crazy :)

Strangely enough I love the beach, I just don't go very far into the water, lol!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
2qlu03r.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
{Scarface, Al Pacino voice} "Say hello to Archimandrita tesselata!"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You just need to practice it a few hundred times. I'll bet you're going to get right on that, huh? :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
wrmitchell22 said:
Tom said:
{Scarface, Al Pacino voice} "Say hello to Archimandrita tesselata!"

LOL, doesn't really roll off the tongue very easily though does it ;)

Let's not talk about cockroaches and tongues in the same thread, okay? :p

Tom said:
GTT, we finally stumbled onto an area of ignorance for you. I was starting to doubt that would ever happen. (I mean this in a fun, friendly way. :D)

Yep, I'm quite perplexed. Do you guys think they're cute or handsome or something? Because to me, they just look creepy. As for that picture of your daughter with a bug on her, let me just say, you would never catch me doing that. My wife and I recently went on vacation, and my wife actually volunteered to let the tour guide put a whiptail scorpion on her cheek. They're harmless to people, and my wife was fine with it, but again, despite the fact that I love to muck about in nature, you would never catch me doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.