Clumpy topsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.

reatrocity

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia, United States
Hey all, I seem to have a problem with the topsoil in Morgan's enclosure. It is very clumpy, as if the water is soaking up in these clumps. I have tried to mix it around, and while it makes it better, by the end of the day it's all clumpy again.

I have mixed it with some sphagnum moss, and while I have coco coir I haven't added that yet, wanted to see how Morgan did without first. Should I go ahead and do that? Would it help the soil not be so clumpy? It doesn't seem to bug Morgan, he seems just fine with it but I feel that the water seems to go too low into the substrate than I would like.

Thanks for your help.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I feel that the water seems to go too low into the substrate than I would like.

Do you mean the water dish sinks in low? Is the clumps a result of the tort peeing there? If not, then play with the soil and un clump it...

reatrocity

5 Year Member
West Virginia, United States
Nah not the water dish. I mean the water from when I spray the enclosure to keep it humid. The water dish is fine. I do un-clump it, but it is fairly difficult to do, and after a while it clumps again. I may try adding the coconut coir tomorrow to see if it helps it. I just don't like messing with the soil too much since Morgan is a hatchling, and I don't want to disturb him for as much as I possibly can. Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions because I would like to get it right in as few tries as possible. :p

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I think mixing the coco coir will help. Could be that your topsoil is a bit more clay like. Blending the two may loosen it up. You can also try sifting just the top soil for now through a wire mess colander. I found one to use for pet and garden things at the 99 cents only store or the Dollar Store, one or the other. I compost so I always sift it before adding to my pots and raised beds to remove the large things that still need to break down.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ohhhh, I see. Do you run warm temps day and night? If yes, then perhaps add more water to the substrate and then once it soaks in --hand pack it all down pretty tightly,...this will likely help alleviate the issue you are experiencing...also, you can do this while you are soaking the tort--this way there is little to no disturbance to the tort...

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
And wire MESH colanders (sorry about the previous "mess" typo) can sometimes be found in used garage sales or craigslist, or in real sturdy ones are at the restaurant supply stores. For compost sifting before using, necessary. Hope this helps with the clumpy soil. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.