CLS Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntoTheWildReptiles

5 Year Member
We went to a pet store here in town. It was horrible to say the least. I want to do something about this place. I have tried calling animal control but they will do nothing. This store needs alot of pressure put on them. Here are some photos that I took.

Dirty and no room. The red light is all that is in there.
DSC_0057.jpg

Speaks for itself
DSC_0058.jpg

This is a 6x6 cage that these 3 torts are in. The big is about 150 or so lbs and the other two are in the 30 lbs range. No lights no heat and no sun time. The big ones shell is in bad shape broken and flat is areas.
DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

Two 10 plus foot burms living like this
DSC_0062.jpg

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Oh my god! I don't know which is more awful, the aquatics tank or the burms... Those poor things.

Have you tried sending pictures of the situations to animal control? Including pictures of any furry things in as bad of shape (wouldn't surprise me for them to ignore the reptiles' conditions)? That's the only thing I can think of... Good luck, I hope you can get them shut down (or at least to pull their heads out of you-know-where... but that doesn't seem likely).

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
That's sad. Too back places like that can't be shut down.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If Animal Control is not responding try going to other fringe type enforcement folks. Think health department (sick turtles can spread disease to people), your state's Fish and Game folks. Then don't forget local TV stations and newspapers. Write editorials to your newspapers. Go to a local meeting of your city managers and speak before them about this issue and lack of Animal Control help, citing the AC are city workers not doing there jobs. Be sure to make enlarged photos or copies for each council member. Is there a local humane society in the area?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Where is this place located? What is it called?

Where is this place located? What is it called?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So animal control won't come out in a legitimate case, but they jump every time my neighbor wakes up in a bad mood and calls them? something is wrong here.

IntoTheWildReptiles

5 Year Member
Thank you for all the replies. I have tried the news but they wont do anything. I guess if its not a dog or a cat it doesnt matter. The owner is a complete jerk and thinks he knows whats best for his animals. I would like to get these animals out of there. But I will not buy them, that would only give him money to buy more. Here is his information.

Cls Pets
(661) 327-0321
3105 F St, Bakersfield, CA 93301

I have been in a few times before this and this is how he keeps them 24/7.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
TBH the news will only get involved if it is cute and fluffy.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Tell them if they do not clean up their act you will leave them a horrible review on Yelp.com and other online business review websites. Bet that gets their attention.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A few things to consider...

1. Most communities have laws for pet shops, but the laws are a lot more flexible for them then they are for zoos or individuals since the pet shop is just 'holding' the animal until it is sold, not 'keeping' the animal long-term.

2. They probably get told that they are mistreating their animals all the time. Most pet shops hear this from all kinds of people about all kinds of pets. MOST of the complainers are wrong or unrealistic so they learn to turn a deaf ear to it.

3. Pet shops are about the bottom line. The bigger the cages, the fewer animals they can carry and sell. High quality food or bedding costs them profits, etc. Time spent cleaning means expensive manpower costs and again, less profit.

4. Most pet shops make next to nothing selling the animals. Every day the animal is unsold, the profit margin is less. The real money is in supplies, and the best profit is food and consumables. (high markup, and repeat sales.)

5. Reptile pet shops (indeed, almost all pet shops) tend to specialize in something, and generally do a good job with it and are more compassionate about that category. Most reptile shops are big hybrid snake and lizard focused.

This can give us some clues about fighting them. Most shops like this have a pretty steady and loyal shopper base, so giving them a bad review probably won't bother them much. Likewise, unless there is a law they are actually breaking, calling the authorities won't accomplish much.

HOWEVER, most reptile stores depend on local herp groups for repeat business and good will. Talk to some people there about the place. Sometimes you can even get something on their site or newsletter.

Alternatively, you can go the exact opposite way- help them make more money even while taking care of the animals better. This can mean volunteering to clean things, helping them find better ways to do things, etc.

It is not as easy, but it works.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I never go there, the place is a dive. I am pretty sure the reptile club meets there. You would think that someone from that group would have something to say as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.