Not open for further replies.

firewire

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma City
Hello all,

I am new to this forum!

I will start off with a close call we had this weekend for Cherry. He/She was attacked by on of my dogs wanting to play. I cleaned up the wounds best I could and then applied Liquid Bandaid. It was suggested to me to keep applying triple antibiotic ointment. Cherry is still eating, drinking, and having bowel movements, so I hope all is good. (SCL s about 2.5" to give you an idea of scale)

It was such a shame because Cherry had what I would consider a perfect shell. Now he/she has some character right?!

IMGP0181.jpg

Anyways, hello from Oklahoma!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I had one of my hatchlings chewed by a dog about 6 months ago (no Terry not of yours). I treated it wounds, kept it in sterile enviorment (paper towels and spaghum) and worried. It healed up fine though scarred. It is one of the first to the food bowl at dinner. I did go out and build secure cover of 1/4" chicken wire and bunge cords. I think your tort will be fine with character. We most all remember no matter how trustworthy we feel our mammal housemates are, they are predators.

firewire

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma City
Thank you for the reply. I have had the RF's since September and the dogs always sniff them when I have the out, but never more than that. I had then in a rubbermaid tote in the backyard for about an hour and during that hour I had checked on them about every 10 min. It was in the last 10 min. the attempted murder took place. :)

I don't know why the dogs didn't do more. I am thankful they didn't, but lesson learned.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I hope Cherry will do fine. I'm sure she will. Is the shell wound in the pic the only wound?
I also have a small hatchling (Comet)and 2 dogs. I will not let Comet outside unless I am right there with her/him. This weekend I was lying in the tort pen taking pics and my dog ran past me. I was so scared as she was so close to bounding off of comet, Kind of like a launching pad. Now I will be even more vidulent with her. Never can be too careful. Oh and I was told a hawk could swoop down and snatch her faster than I could react. So I am in the process of building her an enclosed pen all for herself.

firewire

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma City
There are 4 puncture type wounds on the plastron, but they didn't penetrate all the way through. The Plastron being soft still I am not too worried about them. The front hinge on Cherry's left side was chipped a way a little bit too and I applied the Liquid Bandage to it. Infection on that area is my biggest concern, but it looks fine. I use Terry's method of Spaghnum moss as the only substrate still. I think things could have been much worst.

I am still amazed the dog did it. I am confident it was our Pug, and that may be the saving grace since they don't have much of a mouth to bite with. At least our other one Ruby was not harmed.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glad the damages seems to not be too bad. Sad when one of our four legged friends does something like this, but no animal ever stops being the animal nature intended for him to be. Glad this reminder wasn't at a higher price. *hug*

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Welcome to the forum! Hope everything will be fine with your little baby!

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Welcome Firewire! Glad you came aboard:).

Status
Not open for further replies.