Climbing

Claud_the_tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Dunstable
Usually, my tortoise likes to climb over is cave and fall down the other side or when i let him outt of his enclosure he prefers to climb out but when he goes down he seems to be fine. I'm not sure whether it's healthy for him or not to be climbing over things and falling on his face. (Not like a full on head splat but like a bonk on the chin)

Any advice would be helpful, thanks 😊

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He doesn't pull his head in before he hits?
They will do that I'm sure over the wild terrain. However, if they got badly hurt, they would just die. I guess in your case, I'd try to change things so he can't do it or can't possibly hurt himself doing it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Usually, my tortoise likes to climb over is cave and fall down the other side or when i let him outt of his enclosure he prefers to climb out but when he goes down he seems to be fine. I'm not sure whether it's healthy for him or not to be climbing over things and falling on his face. (Not like a full on head splat but like a bonk on the chin)

Your tortoise shouldn't be roaming loose outside of its enclosure. Its not safe and it can't be made safe. No matter how much you intend to supervise, something will eventually happen. We see it here all the time.

Claud_the_tortoise

Dunstable
Your tortoise shouldn't be roaming loose outside of its enclosure. Its not safe and it can't be made safe. No matter how much you intend to supervise, something will eventually happen. We see it here all the time.
Thank you, whenever I let him out I always make sure he can't get stuck anywhere but I'll be more careful

SuzanneZ

Georgetown

Lol. Ok I suppose as long as he doesn't flip over when you're not there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you, whenever I let him out I always make sure he can't get stuck anywhere but I'll be more careful
It has nothing to do with getting stuck. Here is a list of what we've seen here over the years:
-Head smashed in door jamb
-hit by opening door
-Escapes because someone accidentally left a gate or door open, followed by being run over by their own car
-Kicked or stepped on
-Impaction from eating all manner of things like rings, ear rings, sewing needles, dust bunnies, screws, nuts, bolts, buttons, electrical cords, styrofoam, etc..
-Poisoning from cleaning products and their fumes
-Floors are too slick
-Carpeted floors run the risk of entanglement by fine threads or human hair which can results in lost limbs
-Its too cold down on the floor...

The list is endless. As I said, it cannot be made safe. Being more careful is not the solution. Tortoises need to stay in their tortoise enclosures, indoors and outdoors, and their enclosures need to be large enough to meet their exercise and space needs.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Unfortunately, most people who allow their tortoise to roam freely in the house, or outside of it, believe that they are on top of any possible problem. Either that, or they decide to risk letting their tortoise free roam because it's just so darn cute and entertaining. And most young people have to learn by experience, so this is at the cost of an innocent and much loved pet.

Jennpaints

Pasadena, MD
Sounds like you need to "baby proof" more, think of them like toddlers that do not understand danger.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
In their own secure and correctly set up space, both inside and outside, that is the best way to be responsible about keeping them. Not loose in your house or yard, no matter how safe you think it is.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like you need to "baby proof" more, think of them like toddlers that do not understand danger.
This is not the solution. No amount of supervising, being careful, or baby proofing will make it safe or suitable. Loose on the floor is simply not a safe or suitable place for a tortoise. Tortoises belong in tortoise enclosures that are designed, built and made safe for them.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We just had another death in a thread called "I think my tortoise is dying". Another fatal accident due to the tortoise being kept loose in the house. Very, very sad.