Cleaning the indoor enclosure

Meeelinda

Hi everyone, you all have been very helpful and I am glad that i ran into this forum. I have done a lot of research and I still haven't decided on which species to get. I was wondering how do you clean the indoor habitat? is it once a week, once a month, or every couple months. I am curious what I would be in store for when I do decide to get a tortoise.

Sheldon the russian tortoise

5 Year Member
i spot check for poop and old food daily change out water and add substrate about once a year if the cage begins to smell i do a full substrate change. BTW glad you decided to get a tort i would reccomend a russian they are spunky and have pretty basic care needs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I clean the bowls and give fresh water daily or more, if needed. I soak regularly and the tortoise usually poop in the soak water, so the enclosure stays clean. I spot clean up any leftover food or poop daily at night and that is about it.

A couple of times a year I will wipe down the walls with a damp cloth if needed, but that is about it.

I only change my substrate if one tortoise is moving out of that enclosure and another is moving in.

Meeelinda

@Sheldon the russian tortoise The Russian tortoise was on the top of my list. By any chance could you post a picture of your Russian tortoise. Thank you Both @Tom for replying to my post. I thought I would need to clean out the substrates every month.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi everyone, you all have been very helpful and I am glad that i ran into this forum. I have done a lot of research and I still haven't decided on which species to get. I was wondering how do you clean the indoor habitat? is it once a week, once a month, or every couple months. I am curious what I would be in store for when I do decide to get a tortoise.
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Please read the care sheets and threads, that will be of help. And do not hesitate to ask any question when in doubt.