Cleaning my turtle shell

Tatergirl09

Location (City and/or State)
Ventura, CA
im looking for tips on the best way to clean my turtle's shell. It's continuing to grow more and more algae on the top of his shell.

Thank you!!!

image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can lightly scrub him with a brush, but the white won't come off until he sheds.

Randi

Canada
You could perhaps put a few Chinese Algae Eaters or Siamese Algae Eaters in the tank. I have a group of them and have yet to see any algae on my turtle. The encounters they have with him are brief but they seem to take care of it.

Tatergirl09

Ventura, CA
You could perhaps put a few Chinese Algae Eaters or Siamese Algae Eaters in the tank. I have a group of them and have yet to see any algae on my turtle. The encounters they have with him are brief but they seem to take care of it.

Oh, I like that Idea. Ok, thank's Randi.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Oh, I like that Idea. Ok, thank's Randi.
I think eventually they will serve as fish steak for your turtle. Another thing, chinese algae eater not really good for algae control, especially when they grow up. Siamese is okay.

Instead, use UVC filter or control your ammonia level to reduce algae inside your tank.

Randi

Canada
They are fast swimmers so I find them being snacked on unlikely. If you provide driftwood or rocks that have places to hide, your turtle won't even see them. And if it does, the chances of the turtle getting to it are slim to none.

I don't believe that ammonia is the cause of algae. Ammonia is present when there is a lack of good bacteria and you generally do not see algae in a tank that is not established or cycled. I believe that poor water conditions (caused by over feeding, poor filtration, not enough water changes, a tank that isn't large enough to sustain), high nitrates and phosphates, as well as lighting (light on for long periods of time, new uvb bulbs or expiring bulbs where the wavelength has changed, sunlight from windows), will contribute to algae.

I would like a better picture of the original posters tank because I have a feeling it may not just be algae and perhaps may have some cyano bacteria in the tank.

Tatergirl09

Ventura, CA
They are fast swimmers so I find them being snacked on unlikely. If you provide driftwood or rocks that have places to hide, your turtle won't even see them. And if it does, the chances of the turtle getting to it are slim to none.

I don't believe that ammonia is the cause of algae. Ammonia is present when there is a lack of good bacteria and you generally do not see algae in a tank that is not established or cycled. I believe that poor water conditions (caused by over feeding, poor filtration, not enough water changes, a tank that isn't large enough to sustain), high nitrates and phosphates, as well as lighting (light on for long periods of time, new uvb bulbs or expiring bulbs where the wavelength has changed, sunlight from windows), will contribute to algae.

I would like a better picture of the original posters tank because I have a feeling it may not just be algae and perhaps may have some cyano bacteria in the tank.

Hi Randi! I clean my tank weekly if not bi-weekly. I have in the past been over-feeding. I would say in the past two months that has not been happening. I use alkaline water, so it can't be that. Maybe the lights? I have his basking bulb on uvb light on all day? The tank is near a window as well? I will get a few of those fish this weekend, I have several hide outs for my fish!

Randi

Canada
How much water are you exchanging every time you clean?

Do you feed in your tank? If you do, I'd consider feeding in a tupperware container. It keeps the water cleaner.

How many hours would you say your light is on? Cutting back your lighting even by a few hours will help reduce algae. I'd try to block the light coming from the window and if you can't, you could try attaching a fish tank background on the outside of the tank to prevent light from coming in. You may even want to move your tank if possible.

If you are heading to a pet store soon, I'd see if they can test water for you. A lot of these places offer free water testing. If they don't and you have to buy testing strips, I'd pick up a few. It'd be interesting to know how your water looks coming out of the tap and how it is in the tank.