Cleaning and Maintenance? + More

cindy1546

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hello,

I’ve been doing a lot of research as I’m preparing to get a Russian Tortoise soon and I’ve seen a topic on basically everything I need to care for my tortoise except on how to clean and maintain the enclosure. How often would I need to clean it? What should I use to clean it? How “deep” of a cleaning would I need to do? Also if there’s any tips on brands of UV bulbs, Food, etc I’d appreciate it. Also would it be smart to have a 3-4 year old Russian tortoise in an outside enclosure? I feel as though having it indoors might deprive it of the bigger space that it would be able to have in my backyard outdoors. I live in Los Angeles and it’s always between 75°-90° (Though It’s gotten up to 110° recently—though rarely). Also I’m not sure if I should purchase this 3-4 year old Russian Tortoise from a pet shop (they are wild caught and imported... which doesn’t necessarily sound good to me so if that’s a red flag, plz let me know since I’m not sure).

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Hello,

I’ve been doing a lot of research as I’m preparing to get a Russian Tortoise soon and I’ve seen a topic on basically everything I need to care for my tortoise except on how to clean and maintain the enclosure. How often would I need to clean it? What should I use to clean it? How “deep” of a cleaning would I need to do? Also if there’s any tips on brands of UV bulbs, Food, etc I’d appreciate it. Also would it be smart to have a 3-4 year old Russian tortoise in an outside enclosure? I feel as though having it indoors might deprive it of the bigger space that it would be able to have in my backyard outdoors. I live in Los Angeles and it’s always between 75°-90° (Though It’s gotten up to 110° recently—though rarely). Also I’m not sure if I should purchase this 3-4 year old Russian Tortoise from a pet shop (they are wild caught and imported... which doesn’t necessarily sound good to me so if that’s a red flag, plz let me know since I’m not sure).
I would replace the substrate every 6 months, spot clean every day, and disinfect the water and food dishes every week or so. Get a T5 florescent tube for uvb, a CHE for ambient temps, and an incandescent flood bulb for basking. I think it would be fine to let a 3-4 year old outside, just be sure to provide water and lots of shade.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hello,

Pet shops do not take good care of tortoises. They're housed in poor conditions and are fed an equally poor diet. Chances of finding health issues are more likely than not when buying from a pet store. Members usually will not recommend you "rescuing" them unless the buyers are willing to be prepared for anything bad that may happen to them.

Captive bred tortoises from a reputable source (that is recommended in this forum) would be a far better choice in my opinion. Yes the price of a hatchling would be higher than a wild-caught tortoise but at least you'll have the satisfaction in knowing how your tortoise was raised before being sold. Breeders will usually show potential buyers their operations and practices if asked nicely.