Classroom tortoise?

Misshaley

Hi! I just got a tortoise today! I want to make him a classroom pet, but I was wondering if he would be okay on his own every weekend?
If so, how should I prepare for that?
Also, if this is not a good idea, could I have two tanks and transport him every weekend?

What's the best way to do this?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
What kind of tortoise?

Can you have timers setup to control lighting over the weekend?

Will heat and air conditioning be left on in that room?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
I would not leave a tortoise in a classroom over the weekend.
Any tortoise needs a karge enclosure and plenty of time outdoors in a oredator proof enclosure.
You can definitely transport a tortoise.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have seen too many ruined classroom tortoises to recommend it at all. Tortoises are wild animals who will get stressed out in a situation with so many people and no real routine. He needs UVB in the day and heat at night. He needs humidity, grass weeds blooms leaves...He needs outside.

Misshaley

He is a Russian Tortoise.

I think that I will take him home with me every weekend.
I could put the lights on a timer though.

Jj bliss

Staffordshire uk
I take my tortoise into school every now and again but I would never leave her there just because it's not the best environment for her. How old are the children? You would need to make them very aware of the tortoise and be sure he/she is not in danger of being fed random things, escape etc A good enclosure would be key.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I would take him home to at least make sure he is getting some outside sun time as well.
I agree and for this reason take my beloved tort for a "walk" in the sun when the weather permits.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! I'd suggest not leaving your tort alone during the weekend. As for getting a classmate please take care.....bullying may begin! I am thinking of getting a baby tort but I have to do more research and get help from this wonderful forum before taking such a risky step....I dont want either of them to harm the other. Good luck.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Where are you? Roughly? Taking a tortoise back and forth regularly during the depth of the winter is not something to do lightly. It can't be left at school over vacations. You can't leave it in the car while you run errands, you can't take it shopping with you. It won't like traveling and will make stinky messes in the travel box.

Are you already experienced with tortoises? If not, it would be better to get your experience at home where there are fewer stressors on the tortoise, get to know this particular animal, and then revisit the issue of class room tortoise in a few years.

A tortoise would be fascinating to observe, but can't be a pet to a large number of children. It's a wild animal in captivity. And it needs a lot of space. I've never seen one thrive in a classroom.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I operate a turtle and tortoise rescue, so I speak from the experience of having seen a few turtles and tortoises that had been in a classroom situation. I don't recommend it. Here's just one example - I had a really nice eastern box turtle rescue. She was very tame and would eat right out of my hand. She never pulled into her shell to get away from me. A very nice, people-oriented turtle. I adopted her to a 3rd grade school teacher who wanted a classroom turtle. She brought me back the turtle after having had it for a couple weeks saying it just wasn't appropriate for her classroom because all it did was hide in its shell all the time, all closed up. The poor turtle was so traumatized that it took over a month for it to even come out of its shell to eat.

I can only guess at what torture the poor turtle endured at the hands of those children to make it be so scared like that.

The teacher can't be watching the children every minute, and one never knows what the children might do to the animal when the teacher's not watching. After that experience, and after receiving a couple more classroom rescues, I would never adopt out again to a classroom situation.