Christmas Catcus

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Was over at a friends house and he has a Christmas cactus in his greenhouse and its in full bloom, can red foots eat the flowers from and the plant itself.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It is on the list of edible item's and as long as it wasnt treated with pesticides, then it's fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its the same family, but the ones that bloom this time of year are called Easter cactus. Its actually schlumbergera or zygocactus. I guess an easier common name might be "Holiday cactus," because there are some that bloom around Thanksgiving as well as Christmas.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
emysemys said:
Its the same family, but the ones that bloom this time of year are called Easter cactus. Its actually schlumbergera or zygocactus. I guess an easier common name might be "Holiday cactus," because there are some that bloom around Thanksgiving as well as Christmas.

I just talked to the lady who gave it to my friend and she brought a piece of it back years ago from Hungary while visiting relatives. and said it was the Easter catcus, I also found out that there is a thanksgiving catcus I would like to think that they are all edible to red foots.

JohnathanO

5 Year Member
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
I have one in with my leopard, when i first put it in there he took a couple of bites, since then he has left it alone. But he is a very picky eater lol

C

cherryjohn3

What is the diet and the life span of the Christmas cactus?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
They are sold at Lowe's right now as "Spring" cactus, and they are full of blooms. I was wondering the same thing, if they are edible. Thanks for the information, I might just go back up there and get one. Wonder if they only bloom this time of year, like the Christmas cactus only blooms in the winter.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
DesertGrandma said:
They are sold at Lowe's right now as "Spring" cactus, and they are full of blooms. I was wondering the same thing, if they are edible. Thanks for the information, I might just go back up there and get one. Wonder if they only bloom this time of year, like the Christmas cactus only blooms in the winter.

The Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving cactus are different from one another and they bloom close to the time of year that there name applies. Seem like they are native to Brazil.
I have just fed my red foots some Easter cactus flowers today and they gobbled them up.
It is said that they are easy to care for. I will be finding out in the next year.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I love zygos and am afraid that they are unaware of the holliday-related names we hang on them. Mine bloom in response to photo period, and that's easy to control. Mine also put on a few blooms spring AND fall. My leopards would eat my zygos down to stubs if I let them I like to buy the cactus when they go on sale, after the blooms have peaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.