CHE's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Anyone know of a good website to buy a CHE for cheap? They are around $35-40 in stores and I dont want to pay that much if I dont have to. Also, what is their lifespan? Id imagine a few years since they arent actually lights..?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Are certain brands made better then others? Also my.enclosure is only 14 inches tall so i would probably need a low wattage one right?

Do they focus heat in one spot or is the heat more distributed over a bigger area (than a bulb)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I have the Zoo Med ones and they've lasted >1.5 years so far. Reports from others say anywhere from 3-5+ year life on these, and I think they're all pretty good regardless of brand. My plan is to always buy down the middle, not the cheapest or most expensive, its worked well for me so far. I think the 100-watt Zoo Med's are ~$20 on Amazon.

They will heat a more focused area if you place them in an aluminum dome light, just be sure it has a ceramic socket. I use them to heat my indoor enclosures and used these plans to create my own socket setups for $10. I purchased all the supplies at home improvement stores:
http://www.redfoots.com/emitter/color.htm

I'll add, I don't use a dimmer switch. Mine are all hooked up to thermostats.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have one that has been running continuously in a multitude of enclosures since the early 90's. I have several others that are nearly that old too. I have never had one stop working.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
None of mine have ever stopped working. I do manage to break them by knocking into the bulb and it snaps at the base.

Also be warned, they get really hot and will burn you. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.