Cherry or Northern????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATXguy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austin Tx
I'd like your help identifying my new tort. It has northern characteristics but also some cherry. There is some marbling on the plastron as well as carapace. Looks like a darker than normal plastron which makes me lean cherry. It doesn't have the bulbous nose characteristic of a cherry though. The first 5 pics in the link below are of my new girl. Let me know what u guy think please!!http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/t407/Blake_Matthew/?action=view&current=11e332d8.png

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
It's kinda hard to tell from the pics, but looks northern to me. Was it identified as northern or cherry by the seller when you got it?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Mgridgaway said:
It's kinda hard to tell from the pics, but looks northern to me. Was it identified as northern or cherry by the seller when you got it?

I agree, looks northern but better pics of the head and front legs would be helpful. Nice marbeling going on!

ATXguy

5 Year Member
Austin Tx
I'll try to take more pics. She is pretty shy. The head looks northern but she has an unusual amount of red on the upper area of her front legs near her neck. I have quite a few northerns and I can tell she is different. I never heard of marbling in a northern. plastron looks much darker than my others too

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I would say northern. Have you noticed an enlarged scale on the inside of front legs?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Northern. They mottle as well, although it seems to be more of the result of cares for them. The plastron of any Southern type is mostly dark with light centers or mottling.

ATXguy

5 Year Member
Austin Tx
Yeah looks like a spur on the bed of each front leg facing the neck. Does anyone have pics of what the "spur" on a cherry looks like so I can use for comparison?

ATXguy

5 Year Member
Austin Tx
That link didn't work when I clicked on it. Said I didn't have permission to view

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
ATXguy said:
That link didn't work when I clicked on it. Said I didn't have permission to view
Try the google search at bottom of message. This first time tried to link.:(

ATXguy

5 Year Member
Austin Tx
Awesome, thanks everyone! Never new a northern can marble

*Knew*.... Not "new" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.