Cherry Head Red Foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shalon

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
Her tail looks odd to me...It might be this computer screen though (I am at a friends house) it looks very fat....

But I would say definitely female, regardless.

I haven't seen many tails but it looked odd to me too. I am taking her to the vet on payday to get checked out.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
allegraf said:
Congrats, its a GIRL!

Check out this thread Shalon http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-8435.html
Carl May a veteran Cherryhead breeder mentions that make cherryheads have thicker tails than other redfoots, perhaps the same can be said of females? Perhaps Carl or another experienced cherryhead breeder could chime in?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Brazilian locale redfoots are somewhat different.. but still redfoot tortoises. At 7" a male should start showing the typical concave plastron.. which is not common among the Northerns'! Brazilians' showing at a smaller size has been my experience. That looks like a girl to me.

Terry K

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Redfoot NERD said:
Brazilian locale redfoots are somewhat different.. but still redfoot tortoises. At 7" a male should start showing the typical concave plastron.. which is not common among the Northerns'! Brazilians' showing at a smaller size has been my experience. That looks like a girl to me.

Terry K

What about the tail Terry? Is it similar in proportion to your adult female?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
That is a female. Their tail length and thickness can vary quite a bit from animal to animal. But there is nothing wrong with that girl.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
An old pic of a "younger" adult female.. look close [ click to open ] and you can see the short stubby tail..

1AbigRED2.jpg

Terry K

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Besides the short stubby tail, you also have the very narrow gap between the points on the anal scutes on the plastron and the carapace. Males usually have a much wider gap so they can swing their long tails around.

It also helps to look at the angle the two anal scutes make- if there is about a 90 degree angle, or a clear U or V shape, it is probably a female. If the angle is wide open, almost a straight line or a big wide U, it is probably a male.

While yours has the classic female tail, you can use these other points to help in some other situations with Red- and Yellow-foots.

Status
Not open for further replies.