Cherry Head Red Foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shalon

5 Year Member
I was told this was a cherry head red foot, but it looks nothing like the ones I've seen pictures of. Can anyone tell me if it is or isn't?
I got him off of craigslist for free and he didn't have a picture of it posted. I am going to be working on it's habitat this weekend. Right now it is in the 70 gallon fish tank that it came with.
I am trying to find out everything I can about him/her so I can give it a proper home.
014.jpg

015.jpg

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Sure looks like one to me. Lots of his/her scales have gone dull, but what little that remains colored look like a cherryhead, that and I see marbling on the carapace. If you can take a plastron pic that would seal the deal. But I'm 99% sure just from seeing that pic. I am pretty new to this but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :)

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Red Deer, AB
Bryan said:
Sure looks like one to me. Lots of his/her scales have gone dull, but what little that remains colored look like a cherryhead, that and I see marbling on the carapace. If you can take a plastron pic that would seal the deal. But I'm 99% sure just from seeing that pic. I am pretty new to this but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :)

So lol'd.

Grats on the new little tromper. 'Tis a beaut, and the price sure was right.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Shalon, welcome to the forum. Yep its a cherryhead that is in great need of an enclosure change. This baby is way way too try. It should be on damp substrate and kept with a high humidity. Sorry I know you didnt' ask the question about his enclosure or how to keep him but someone needs to let you know that RF need high humidity they are rainforest type torts and to keep them in dry desert like conditions is just short of inhumane treatment of these wonderful animals. Mind you I am not accusing you of inhumane treamtment. I just would like, as I am sure you would a healthy happy tort. I helped to rehab a RF that was kept in incorrect conditions for this species and was able to turn her life around and now she is a happy healthy growing tort. :) Please look at the care and enclosure and diet sheets at www.redfoots.com and www.turtletary.com

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Get some moss in there too. it will help keep the moisture up when dampened

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Wow you got yourself a beautiful tortoise there!!
Definately follow the advice of Crazy1 & you will be thrilled with how your tortoise will look after adding some humidity and a good soak and spray of his/her shell everyday.. Update pictures after I would love to see him again looking tip top!!!
Congrats again what an amazing find!!!!

RachelleC

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Shalon is my sister. she does know that the habitat is to dry and not appropriate for this tortoise. She searched and sent me a message to find out what I knew and could find out as soon as she knew that this tortoise would be coming to live with her. She will be in a much better home now then she was.

Shalon

5 Year Member
Thank you guys! I really want him/her to have a good home. I'm trying to read everything I can. I went to the links listed above. The redfoots.com one looked like another forum. Is there something there that I am missing? I am still going to read the threads but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something

I am going to try and work on her home this weekend, but I have to wait for payday so she may have to stay where she is for a week or two until I can get everything needed. :( I have been spraying down the bark in her tank to try and get more humidity in it.

I took her (no idea if she is a boy or girl. The guy I got her from said girl) outside today and let her wander around for a little bit. She seemed to like it. It's been unusually hot here in Oregon the last two days so that is good for her, bad for me..lol!

I also gave her a bath in my tub..which she promptly pooped in.

I did notice that she has some pyramiding on her. Her previous owner said she ate mostly carrots, which I have read should only be a now and then treat.

003.jpg

013.jpg

007.jpg

026.jpg

Hi Rachelle!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Good looking girl and looks like she's enjoying her bath.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
She is a beautiful Cherry Head. There is no mistaken that "Rudolph" nose. Lots of humidity will help with the pyramiding. What a lucky find that was.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Shalon-Try this link http://www.redfoots.com/redfoot.htm that is a direct link on how to care for Redfoots. There are a number of very knowledgeable Redfoot breeders and keepers on here including the guy that runs that site who goes by the name "Redfoot Nerd" IIRC on this very forum.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
What a lovely looking tort., and so lucky he/she has found a caring mom.
Can't wait to see updated pics in a few months.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Take a picture of her tummy, focusing on the tail area. Someone here will be able to tell you if she's a she, or not :p

She looks good!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Hey Bryan.. what does IIRC mean?

I don't know how knowledgeable Shalon... I have managed to keep 'em alive for over 10 years and raise their 4 yr. old babies to look like this..

1Scotch109L.jpg

1Scotch109R.jpg

Hope you like & learn...

Terry K.

Shalon

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
Hey Bryan.. what does IIRC mean?

I believe that stands for If I Recall Correctly

I took some picture. If I need to try and get better ones or a pic of something else please let me know..and I will do my best. I'm not the best picture taker.
S/he measured 7 & 1/2 inches.

012.jpg

015-1.jpg
024.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Her tail looks odd to me...It might be this computer screen though (I am at a friends house) it looks very fat....

But I would say definitely female, regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.