chemicals and paints

sandieandbill

Location (City and/or State)
Birdsboro, PA
Hello guys.....I would like to start off by saying my wife and I are 17 days new at all of this. She came to me about 2 months ago claiming she would like to have a tortoise. So, I did all the research I could do and read up on all the different species etc. and then went to work on building the habitat. The first thing that popped into my dome was....A CASTLE lol, I'm gonna build this lil tort a sturdy castle hehehee. It's all done now except for some minor renovations. Just so it's known, I bought her a female baby giant south african leopard tort, then while caught up in all the excitment I figured I should have one too lol. So I also bought a sulcata.This is what's causing the renovations I spoke of earlier. Anyhow onto the question then....While building this habitat I used different spray paints, glues, and meterials like wood, pvc, and steel, and am now wondering if maybe some of it could be bad for the torts ?.....thought this would be a good place to ask....

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
It's my understanding wood & spray paints can definitely be harmful if they are of certain types or contain certain chemicals.
Do you still have the ingredients list and know of what type of wood you've used, as well as whether it's been treated or how it has?
I'd quite like to see this 'castle'; do you have any pictures? I'm inexperienced when it comes to such species of tortoises, having only a little Mediterranean Hermann's myself, but the tortoises you've purchased grow very large and need adequate housing. Are you housing these two different species (Leopard and Sulcata) together? Because I don't think that would be a great idea, if that's the case.

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I've never had a tortoise chew on their surround boards. Could happen I suppose. In today's world most , if not all paints are fairly non toxic once fully dry. Same with glues. Gone are the days of lead paint.

When I built an inside enclosure for my first Leopard baby , I was very happy with it. Then I started reading more current information on quality care & changed it. Guess I should have done it other way around ( like you did ) & do my research first.

Feel free to post pics of your efforts. As long as you don't get too upset if folks make improvement suggestions.

I'm sure your " castle" is quite nice