Checkin' In

axeman25

Location (City and/or State)
Central Michigan
Hello everyone!
I've been really busy lately and haven't had much of a chance to get on here. Things have been going really well with my three Russians, Pavel, April, and Emma. Emma was sick about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but thanks to the help from everyone on here, she is much better and is very active and has quite the personality.
The weather here in Michigan is warming up so I have been taking them outside to let them run the yard a bit (under a watchful eye). I am holding off on building their outdoor enclose due to the probability of having to move soon. They are eating well and seem to be very active. I've also found a new way to have them work a little bit for some snacks. Their enclosures are covered by a lid with chicken wire over it. I've been kinda hanging some of their leafy greens through the chicken wire so they have to reach just a little bit to grab and pull them down. It's funny to watch them stretch to grab them. Anyway, I thought I'd post some pictures of Emma so that you all could see how well she's been doing. Thanks again for all the help.

BTW: In the enclosure that contains Pavel and April I believe I found the remnants of an egg. It was really mushy and deformed. I wish I had taken a picture of it before I threw it away. I was excited at the thought of hearing the pitter patter of hatchling claws. April doesnt appear to be showing any of the nesting signs I've read about so I wonder if it was just a fluke.

IMAG0429.jpg IMAG0423.jpg IMAG0435_1.jpg IMAG0432.jpg IMAG0430.jpg IMAG0425.jpg IMAG0436.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The dud egg might be her body's way of getting geared up for egg production. I call it "priming the pump". Look for more egg laying activity about 6 weeks from the discovery of the dud egg, give or take a week or two in other direction.

Watch out the Pavel doesn't become too much of a nuisance to her. This sometimes happens with a pair.

axeman25

Central Michigan
I've been keeping a close eye on the two of them. Funny thing is that April, the female in with Pavel, made a mad dash at my fingers when I stuck them in to put food down earlier. She's never been aggressive towards me or anyone and often enjoys a good neck rub.

I just went to check on them again..........

I'm pretty sure I just witnessed some tortoise luvin' going on right now, but as I had never witnessed tortoise luvin' I was not sure. I lifted the lid before looking and I scared them both. I'm also pretty sure I had the same look on my face as an eight year old who just walked in on mom and dad.