Another Question....

axeman25

Location (City and/or State)
Central Michigan
Ok, UVB bulb now at 10". I have some 1" chicken wire on each of my two top doors for the enclosure. This will not filter out the uvb like screen does will it?

Would a UV meter such as this work ok?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00481APE8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Just wondering because if I tell my wife "I just need to get one more thing", one more time, I will have to build that outdoor enclosure now. And it'll have to be big enough for me as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are correct. HO = high output. These bulbs use different fixtures and they are much brighter and produce much more UV. They can be dangerous if they are too close to the tortoise, but they work good from higher up which is how most people use a florescent light bulb.

The chicken wire will filter out a tiny bit of UV and light, but not enough to matter at all.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The UV meters we needs are very specifically tuned to the specific wavelength of UV light that our tortoises need. Here is the one I recommend:
https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

If that is beyond what your wife is willing to accept at the moment then I think its safe to just use a 10.0 tube at 10-12" and replace it every fall.

Now that I know the wife status involved in this mission I think I better excuse myself before I get both of us in hot water...

axeman25

Central Michigan
I can and will get one, just not in the next few weeks or so. The bar for their budget has already been raised multiple times and it's not really fair.

From now on whenever she sees I bought something for them I'm just gonna say "Tom said I need it". She'll get mad, but not mad enough to drive to Southern California. LOL

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can and will get one, just not in the next few weeks or so. The bar for their budget has already been raised multiple times and it's not really fair.

From now on whenever she sees I bought something for them I'm just gonna say "Tom said I need it". She'll get mad, but not mad enough to drive to Southern California. LOL

I wonder how many people have uttered that phrase to their spouses...

I am probably despised by more spouses than I can imagine...