check list, missing anything?

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
Hi guys so I thought I would post a check list to see if I am missing anything. I am planning on getting a baby Dalmatian Hermanni. Thanks :)

what I have:
enclosure with coco coir
Humid hide with moss
daytime mvb
night time heat
temp/hydro meter ( digital)
mazuri ls
greens of all kinds and seedlings in the enclosure
humidity 78%
terra cotta flat dishes for food and water ( stones in the water dish)
live plants in the enclosure
basking rock
digital scale
enclosure 1.jpg enclosure 2.jpg
What I still need:
temp gun
to cover the sides of the enclosure I have the stuff just have not done it yet
and the most important thing I need is our baby.

thank you all so much for helping me. all the plants are edible and safe. the coco coir is hand packed down. the lights are in ceramic bases and not on the clamps they came with .

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Take lots of before pictures before your junior bulldozer crashes the landscape!:)
i have lots of others planted. one area is a tray that I can remove and replace with a fresh tray. im thinking of starting another top for the hide. the planted area in the corner near the rock is the removable section.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
forgot to add I have a cuttle bone ( sp.?) and have calcium powder.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Hi guys so I thought I would post a check list to see if I am missing anything. I am planning on getting a baby Dalmatian Hermanni. Thanks :)

what I have:
enclosure with coco coir
Humid hide with moss
daytime mvb
night time heat
temp/hydro meter ( digital)
mazuri ls
greens of all kinds and seedlings in the enclosure
humidity 78%
terra cotta flat dishes for food and water ( stones in the water dish)
live plants in the enclosure
basking rock
digital scale
View attachment 117835 View attachment 117836
What I still need:
temp gun
to cover the sides of the enclosure I have the stuff just have not done it yet
and the most important thing I need is our baby.

thank you all so much for helping me. all the plants are edible and safe. the coco coir is hand packed down. the lights are in ceramic bases and not on the clamps they came with .
also have cuttle bone and calcium powder,

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Sounds like you're about ready. Can't wait for pictures of you little one when added.
thank you . I will probably start a thread and update it. We decided on a male Dalmatian . His name is Charlie

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Definitely all looks good. Just remember a few key things:

1-Do not pamper, these are wild animals no matter how many times we produce them in captivity, and they need their privacy
2-They absolutely CAN withstand cool temperatures even as babies. Dalmatians in general can be sensitive to high temperatures when compared to other subspecies of Hermann's tortoise. So, nighttime temp can be allowed to drop into a range that falls as low as 60F without having to worry.
3-Make sure the coir does not dry out. Without mixing it with soil or something else, it has the potential to get dry, quick. Hermann's can't handle that for long.

I think you're ready for this little dude. ;)

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
Have you planted seeds in your coir? :) just curious as I was about to start a thread asking if this was possible.. you may have answered my question.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I have and it works, the biggest issue is they eat it up before it really sprouts good.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Yes I put the seeds right in the coco coir. That way I don't have to worry when I put them in the enclosure.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
The top of the hide can come off for cleaning..... I cut a hole in the corner for the temp. Sensor. Second lid planted :) I bought 2 of things like water food dish in case one gets too soiled or broken. I made sure the water dish would hold water ( some have problems with this) when I brought them home I washed in hot water placed in cold oven baked at 500 for 30 minutes. Shut off oven and left over night.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Definitely all looks good. Just remember a few key things:

1-Do not pamper, these are wild animals no matter how many times we produce them in captivity, and they need their privacy
2-They absolutely CAN withstand cool temperatures even as babies. Dalmatians in general can be sensitive to high temperatures when compared to other subspecies of Hermann's tortoise. So, nighttime temp can be allowed to drop into a range that falls as low as 60F without having to worry.
3-Make sure the coir does not dry out. Without mixing it with soil or something else, it has the potential to get dry, quick. Hermann's can't handle that for long.

I think you're ready for this little dude. ;)
I think I am too :)