CHE wattage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Nelson hasn't had much of an appetite these past few weeks, which coincides with the colder weather. He is also in a colder area of my basement.
I want to order a CHE tonight and I plan on leaving it on 24/7.
They come in 60W, 100W, and 150W.
I was thinking of ordering the 60, due to a conversation I had with someone about CHEs last year.

What do you use and/or recommend?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
If he is in a cooler a part of your house I would go with a 100w you can always move it up alittle if gets to hot

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Thanks corey! Looks like I'll be buying another stand for him...I was just going to clamp the light fixture onto the side of his enclosure :p
Can I use a regular ceramic lamp fixture for this?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I would get the 100 or the 150... You can get a ceramic brooding fixture at homedepot .... And I would buy a eye hook and some lite chain and hang it from the ceiling to be safe (I don't really trust the clamps) that way you can position the Fixture up and down depending on the amount of heat you need...

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I would get the larger wattage and a lamp dimmer to adjust the temps up or down to a comfortable level, that way it can stay where you want it. home depot and amazon.com both have the dimmers for about $10, other places have them also.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Oops I never mentioned in my first post that I also use a 100W MVB!

HarleyK

5 Year Member
You being in IL I would recommend the 150. I’m using the 100w Zoo Med and it works great and I’m located in Cali. If I could do it over again, and when my CHE breaks down, I’d go for the 150w Zoo Med clamp lamp with the dimmer switch and couple it with a 150w.

This way when colder nights come around I have the flexibility of increasing the heat.

This is something I would consider in the future:):

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...Qcm9kdWN0Q2F0ZWdvcnkiO3M6ODoiTGlnaHRpbmciO30=

EKLC

5 Year Member
I would get a 100 or 150 and couple it with a thermostat so you dont have to tinker everytime the temp changes

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I have the 150W in a 250W rated fixture with a dimmer. It works great. you have the greatest temp gradient to choose from that way I would think...

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Tony the tank said:
I would get the 100 or the 150... You can get a ceramic brooding fixture at homedepot .... And I would buy a eye hook and some lite chain and hang it from the ceiling to be safe (I don't really trust the clamps) that way you can position the Fixture up and down depending on the amount of heat you need...

I'd get the 100W as well and hang it as 'Tony the tank' recommended above. These things get hot (they'll burn you) and I don't trust the clamps much either. Further, when directed straight down, the heat disperses better and increases the longevity of the product.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I think I'll go with the 100W. I already have the heat from the MVB, I just need an extra boost during the day, and a little warmth at night.
I'll probably buy another lamp stand and hang it so I can easily adjust the temperature.

Would this fixture work? Is it the right size? I like the heat guard!
http://www.petmountain.com/product/...2/zoo-med-porcelain-brooder-lamp-10-inch.html

This one has a dimmer:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/...-professional-series-dimmable-clamp-lamp.html

But I read not to use dimmers with CHEs ?

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
one of the cheapest prices I have seen on 100 watt CHE is amazon, if you have prime its $18.96 and free 2 day shipping.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Since its in a colder area of the basement then I'd use at least the 100 watt. If you put it on a thermostat it will always maintain the temp you want, day or night. I use the "A Life 1000 watt" one. I use them all over the place, indoors, outdoors, underground, in boxes, etc. I run all sorts of stuff on them and they always work perfectly for me. I get them from LLL Reptile for around $25.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Great, thanks!

Now I just need to know what light fixture to use. Can I just use the same kind of 10" clamp lamp that I use for my MVB?

So I have to order a CHE, light fixture, stand, and thermostat...fantastic ;)

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
When you buy a rheostats make sure your CHE wattage only compromises no more than 80% of what the max the rheostat is rated at......

Status
Not open for further replies.