CHE vs incondescent bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I was wondering the difference in heat emitted from a CHE vs an incondescent bulb. I have tried a few different sizes of bulbs in my new enclosure to see what I would need to heat it. 100 watts seems like it will work so wondering if the 100 watt CHE would distribute the same, more or less heat than the incondescent bulb. (Hope this isn't too dumb of a question... lol) I just don't want to get 100 w CHE and find they are not enough.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
CHE are very efficient...the main difference is that they are non-intrusive...no excessive, unneccesary bright light smacking your babies in the eyes from a foot away...the CHE is perfect ambience for them. If they're inside...combine the CHE with an MVB and things couldn't be better;)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I found this quote from Tom (Thanks!) on another thread (http://www.tortoiseforum.org/archive/index.php/thread-19668.html):
" A conventional incandescent bulb (any color) produces about 20% light and 80% heat. A CHE produces 100% heat. So a 100 watt CHE is using the same amount of power as a 100 watt light bulb only you're getting 20% more heat. (Right Balboa?)

Also, according the the manufacturer, Pearlco CHEs give off "long wave" radiant waves verses short wave from an incandescent. This is supposed to be able to better penetrate the animals body and warm them more thoroughly."
(This was confirmed).

Hope this is what you were looking for...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks lynnedit! I was just about to type up all that same stuff all over again.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I've used a combination of standard incandescent bulbs with flourescent UV bulbs with no problems for years. I have a couple of CHE's that I use in special circumstances. Mainly when all of my tortoises go outdoors for the summer and only the Pancake tortoises are left in the room. I set the CHE up on a timer to go on at night because the room gets very cool without all the other heat sources one. Other than a situation like that I see no use for them. While they supposedly produce 20% more heat they are also about 300%+ more expensive and they only produce heat so another light source is required anyway.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Thanks everyone! I am not going to use the incondescent bulbs but was just testing the wattage to see what I needed for heat so if the CHE give off 20% more heat than 100 w should be good... Thank you so much! I knew you guys would be helpful :0)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I haven't been on the forum for a couple days and am working my way through stuff.

You guys have it all figured out here.

There is a place for everything, and I TOTALLY get GB's approach. The one thing I would add to that though, is that although the CHE is far more costly upfront, the greater reliability and longevity tend to pay off from what I've seen. Its going to be all about overall design as to which will be better in an application.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Balboa makes a good a point about the longevity of the CHE's. I have around 12 of them that I've accumulated over the years. Some of them have been in near continuous use for more than 20 years. I have never had a single one ever go bad, burn out or stop working.

On the other hand I replace all my regular incandescent bulbs every 6-12 months or so, because they burn out.

Each one has its place in my mind. I use them for different purposes and each performs its job well for me.

M

Maggie Cummings

I think on an over all basis bulbs are cheaper to use. I use black light bulbs in any habitat that needs heat. BUT bulbs are being fazed out and our only choice soon will be CHE's. I prefer bulbs, I like being able to look in at my sleeping tortoises in the middle of the night...

Status
Not open for further replies.